Effective Clearance?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

baggettpv
PV Master

Original post with additions...

Unread postby baggettpv » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:16 am

Ok everyone....How high over your grip do you jump?
Measure the grip on the pole, subtract 8" for the box then subtract that from your PR.
Hopefully it's not a negative number.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Additions...
Andjei taught me about Pole Vaulting.
It is (and not in order of importace):
Speed
Strength
Long Jump
Power
Pole size
Grip Heighth
Over grip clearance (efficiency, his words)

He taught me many things and the most important thing I learned was that each aspect is no more important than any other aspect. Like the weak link in a chain. Always try to improve the weak link bringing the athlete to balance then adjusting the training to more holistic directions. I have a testing procedure to determine any imbalances. Given to me from Andjei. Presented it at Reno many years ago too.
One other addition I would like to add is maybe alittle off track but I think still relevant. I am a professional Woodworking instructor and accomplished Furniture craftsman. When I am with my colleagues in that field we don't talk much about the details of our profession but more of the overall design, function, appeal and success of the things we have done. Not necessarily of the details of the construction but of the process of construction. Like building an athlete in physical, emotional and psychological ways. Each one is different and has various flaws and positives. We share details when it's new, interesting or could improve our success.
Most things I have learned I have used. The rest just filed away for later.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
Good coaching is good teaching.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: Original post with additions...

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:44 am

baggettpv wrote:Ok everyone....How high over your grip do you jump?
Measure the grip on the pole, subtract 8" for the box then subtract that from your PR.
Hopefully it's not a negative number.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Additions...
Andjei taught me about Pole Vaulting.
It is (and not in order of importace):
Speed
Strength
Long Jump
Power
Pole size
Grip Heighth
Over grip clearance (efficiency, his words)

He taught me many things and the most important thing I learned was that each aspect is no more important than any other aspect. Like the weak link in a chain. Always try to improve the weak link bringing the athlete to balance then adjusting the training to more holistic directions. I have a testing procedure to determine any imbalances. Given to me from Andjei. Presented it at Reno many years ago too.
One other addition I would like to add is maybe alittle off track but I think still relevant. I am a professional Woodworking instructor and accomplished Furniture craftsman. When I am with my colleagues in that field we don't talk much about the details of our profession but more of the overall design, function, appeal and success of the things we have done. Not necessarily of the details of the construction but of the process of construction. Like building an athlete in physical, emotional and psychological ways. Each one is different and has various flaws and positives. We share details when it's new, interesting or could improve our success.
Most things I have learned I have used. The rest just filed away for later.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC

Coach, very well said. At the end of the day, performance (scored) is based on how high one jumps. There may be a jumper who is trying to emulate Joe Dial and Tim McMichael and look just like Bubka or someone emulating Bubka and end up looking Joe Dial. As long they are safe, having fun and successful that is what matters. Some people like Play Station 3 and others like the Wii both systems provide entertainment for people.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:48 am

Good morning

Earl Bell once stated that he could not swing if he couldn’t “feelâ€Â
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:57 am

Thanks Alan I do believe you have cleared this issue up. Nice sneak peak of the book too. I wish I had more to add but Alan has "hit the nail on the head" so to speak.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:58 pm

Thanks gtc and vaultman 18! I was beginning to wonder if anyone had read
the post. :( ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

baggettpv
PV Master

DJ's response

Unread postby baggettpv » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:42 am

Rick could maybe shed some light here.. On a giant in gymnastics especially when the athlete is going to release the bar, flit and re-grip how much work is taking place from the hands to the wrist to the forearm???

It's not the Giant swing but the free/hip to handstand. Thats where the power is generated. The Giant is just a preliminary movement to set up the Free Hip Handstand. If you have seen Petrov's Gymnastics video or Andjeis training methods you would see the correlation. The giant swing has only a small amount of correlation. The free hip has many more. I believe that the holistic motion of the free hip handstand must be an accomplished move of any advanced Pole Vaulter and we must watch how we move the athletes thru the training of the gymnastics because there so much to do (info) but so much with little correlation.
In dealing with work on the high bar I look for the bending of the bar when the athlete is on the top of the swing (handstand). If there was any energy created then the bar will be bending upwards. If not they will Float over the top with no bend of the bar. On a release move with the boys you will hear the bar spring back into place. It's high carbon steel! It makes sounds...Come to the NW Pole Vault festival and let me share my concepts with you guys/girls on Jan 25th. Entry at www.willamettestriders.com

Point of interest: Build athletes first before you build Pole Vaulters. And then continue to build athletes.

Rick Baggett
WSTC LLC
US Senior Coach
NW Director of Pole Vault Development
Basic Good guy hehehehe
Good coaching is good teaching.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:56 am

"Thanks gtc and vaultman 18! I was beginning to wonder if anyone had read
the post."

Clearly you were the only two who read the clip from the new book - pity that - I really did think it cleared up the issues which were bothering folk. Not to worry - I just hope that there are still a few folk out there who dont already know everything there is to know about the vault, and can afford to buy it.

For those who feel that there might still be a bit more to learn, Sean Brown has posted that entire chapter on Neovault - downloadable. I am not sure how thin or soft, print paper can be and still work, but a few of you might find a good use for 10 pages or so if you find the right quality. When I was a kid we used cut up newspaper so this will have to be better. :crying: :deadrose:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:47 am

Hey Altius, some of us do read posts without posting a reply ;)

- master

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Just read the entire Chapter! Awesome! Nobody has ever put these words and ideas down in print before ! Some may claim they have been doing some of the things before which I am sure they have. But this written work is awefully hard to argue with. I contend this will be the greatest book ever written on the sport of polevaulting!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”