Knee Drive

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

osjb44
PV Beginner

Knee Drive

Unread postby osjb44 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 pm

I have a problem keeping my knee driven, and I used to get my coach to yell knee when i was in my plant, but now he won't do it anymore! Any secrets to keep my knee driven?
>>Joey<<

reggiereeves
PV Fan

Unread postby reggiereeves » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:30 am

a vaulter from my school has that very problem, and it really hurts him i think, i tell him to try and jump over the mats, and focus on a huge jump with the planting foot, when you leap real hard with your left ( if you are a right handed vaulter) then naturally you will drive you knee better) so maybe just think about the opposite let and a huge jump. but i'm no coach!

AKell
PV Nerd

Unread postby AKell » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:59 pm

do push-throughs (there's a video of it, i tihnk on neovault.com :yes: ) and focus on your initial form b/f the swing. that'll let you pay more attention to your knee if you don't actually swing through & up.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. -Pre

osjb44
PV Beginner

Unread postby osjb44 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:56 pm

my coach tried to get me to "make it like a long jump" but it doesn't really work for me, i think that's what you're describing
>>Joey<<

Ming3r
PV Whiz

Unread postby Ming3r » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:32 pm

For form drills, the vault coach basically has us focus on - High knees, High skips, and some bounding.

My best advice is just to just run fast and jump; may not be good advice (to some) but for me its what gets me through.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:10 pm

try exaggerated runs.

they are simmilar to power skips, but insted of landing on each foot twice, you just run and really exaggerate the drive knee pushing forewared/up and the trail leg pushing back/down.

that really helped me drive better and also to run faster and with more power.

reggiereeves
PV Fan

Unread postby reggiereeves » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:22 pm

theczar
try exaggerated runs.

they are simmilar to power skips, but insted of landing on each foot twice, you just run and really exaggerate the drive knee pushing forewared/up and the trail leg pushing back/down.

yes, do this, it really helped me also, and another thing you can try is thinking about letting everyone behind you see the bottom of your left foot ( if you are a right handed vaulter) as you take off.

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:27 pm

Try to knee the sky...or the ceiling (outdoor/indoor)

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”