pole bend to the side

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

pole bend to the side

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:19 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like when elite vaulters bend the pole, the bend swings out to the side (which side depends on whether they are a righty of lefty). When I vault, my bend tends to stay in front of me, and I would like to know how to correct this. When the bend stays in front , I tend to lock out my bottom arm which then leads to much trouble inverting. Also, I'm not sure whether my arm being locked out CAUSES the bend to stay in front or not, which is very possible. Any advice on what I should do?? I'm desperate!!

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:40 am

its suposed to stay going foward for the plant but when they are inverting they are keeping presure on the pole by MOVING it out to the side not just pushing it keeps the pole bent long so they have more time to hit all the positions....maybe try a smaller pole if you can because its easier that way
pain is only temporary victory is forever

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:13 pm

your body will instinctively move the pole to the positions it needs to be in. you should concentrate on your problem with locking your bottom arm. that should cause your pole to move naturally!

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:40 pm

Yes. Locking out your left hand will inhibit the pole from rolling over. It will also make swinging extremely difficult....

coleman
PV Newbie

Unread postby coleman » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:28 am

So when and how do you stop locking out the arm?

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:21 am

Just think about pushing up with your bottom arm and swing. The rest of it will take care of itself.

Cooleo111
PV Pro
Expertise: HS/College/Post-collegiate vaulter, coach
Lifetime Best: 4.80

Unread postby Cooleo111 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:48 am

Someone recently brought this idea to my attention....would it be safe for me to turn the pole's soft side just enough so that the bend doesn't stay directly in front of me, but instead goes out at a slight angle and then rotates? If I did this, I think it could help with my previous problem, but would it create any others?

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:57 pm

Not a good idea! The pole will twist in your hand at the plant. Get on a small pole and practice this..... Take-off -> Palms toward the back of the pit -> Begin swing -> Palms toward left side of pit (if you're right handed). You don't even have to get inverted to get the feel of it.

If you jam that bottom arm, you won't be able to roll the pole at all.

Good luck!

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:35 am

the motion is hit the bottom with a nice plant....swing to invert and push the pole out to the side to keep it bending then pull the left arm in close and turn
pain is only temporary victory is forever

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:37 pm

Try just letting your body do what it will naturally do if you don't lock your bottom arm out forward. Think of it this way. If you were to jump up and grab a horizontal bar with your hands in the postion they are when you plant, the bar would be over your head going from behind you to in front of you (shoulders perpendicular to the bar). It will be a natural tendency of your body to turn to the right (for right hand vaulters) to let your shoulders get more in line with the bar instead of being perpendicular to the bar. (Of course in the vault your body doesn't turn, what you are hanging from turns, but I haven't found a horizontal bar that would turn for me so I could use it as an example.) ;)

To apply this to the vault, just jump without a locked lower arm, keep your shoulders square to the pits (in line with the crossbar), and your arms will adjust, taking the pole with them. This occurs as you initiate your swing. Note that once the bend starts to move to the left, there will be no stopping it. This is because the pole first bends forward and then encounters the top of the back of the box which limits it. (This is why many vaulters have a protective surface on their poles at about 8 inches from the tip.) If the pole is turned as you want it to do, there is more room for the pole to bend before it is limited by the left corner of the top of the back of the box and it will move to that position with a snap.

So there you have my two cents worth. - master

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”