BTB

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:32 pm

altius wrote:Just a thought - perhaps from left field!! . Is a batter in baseball thinking about what his hands are doing as he tries to put a ninety five mile an hour fast ball out of the stadium?? ;)

Probably not, but it helps for us coaches to know what cues to give the athletes to hit the correct positions. Visualize, then execute.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:21 pm

hey

run.... plant...... swing

dj

ps.. there is no boat and no water in pole vaulting...

??!!
no rowing
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:40 pm

dj wrote:hey

run.... plant...... swing

dj

ps.. there is no boat and no water in pole vaulting...

??!!
no rowing

Nevertheless, many coaches use “ROWINGâ€Â
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:28 pm

How does the pole bend?
Just you wait...

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:48 pm

hey
you are correct.. how you run... plant...and swing is the key..

and of course i feel there is ONE way.. that allows the vaulter to create force and work with that force getting on to and swinging off of the pole..

fortunately i had a chance to put that ONE way to a test today..

45 minute session with a beginner.. she finished with a 35 foot run..correct pole carry and drop... good plant... right in front and up.... a 8'8" grip and went over a low bungie and blew through..

success.. first intro to pole vault..

i see a lot of coaches finally seeing the same technical model..

dj

ps.. mecham .... the pole will bend as a result of the correct run plant technique...plus correct grip and pole size...

dj
PV Enthusiast

Unread postby dj » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:53 pm

Good morning

Sorry that last post sounded a little egotistical.

What I should have added ………..is that what I accomplished in that first session is probably not much different technically or procedure wise than what you do agapit.. or jan, earl, rick, kris or tim warner who I forgot to mention before…. and many other coaches that have not been mentioned and we probably don’t know about..yet

I’m just glad there is that kind of interest in the vault.

That and the friendships are what make it pretty kool..

Later

dj

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:15 pm

I had that kind of practice yesterday with a 10 year old boy "Mad Max" and it was a blast!! I agree with you DJ, the vault community friendship and support system is very powerful and fun.

The person I know who just LIVES to coach the kids is Altius! That's cool too! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:27 am

Nice comment Bubba -appreciate it! Will have a little time later this week and will return to the original question because it it a critical issue -i am not sure it has been resolved although there has been plenty of time for folk to join in. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:06 am

agapit wrote:The key to the successful inversion is the delay between the time when foot leaves the ground and the beginning of the left arm pull, if a vaulter is pulling at all and not pushing or rowing.
And we would like to completley minimize this delay almost to nothing. Right? The shorter the delay the better. Is there almost NO delay between the two? or that we would like to achieve no delay
Just you wait...

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:17 pm

Mecham wrote:
agapit wrote:The key to the successful inversion is the delay between the time when foot leaves the ground and the beginning of the left arm pull, if a vaulter is pulling at all and not pushing or rowing.
And we would like to completley minimize this delay almost to nothing. Right? The shorter the delay the better. Is there almost NO delay between the two? or that we would like to achieve no delay

Absolutely, it is one of the most important components in the new model. However, many vaulters did not ever focus on this KEY element. These vaulters are Tarasov, Britz, Hartwig, Markov to mention the top few.

As a matter of fact, I do not know anyone who focuses on this KEY element. I think even Bubka in his time intuitively understood it, but I am not aware of the program that focused on this element specifically.

In LoJo’s program this was THE KEY ELEMENT. Tim Mack, I think, came close in the realization last year. I mean conscience minimization of the time between takeoff and inversion.

It is not enough to just think about it. There are real obstacles to minimization of the time. Any other models (that I am aware) except models that build on free takeoff (prejump) lead to PROHIBITIVE delay.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:43 pm

That's very true. In Petrov's first appearance in Reno, which Agapit interpreted for him, he stated that higher jumps would come from this point forward by shortening the duration of the swing. Can't do that without a free take off! Bubba

It's easily learned if you understand the goal. I'm 52 and here's two shots on this page where I'm very close if not free and these are meet jumps where the tendency is to run under. My point is ANYONE can do it. http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/CurrentTraining.htm
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:54 pm

I saw a chart that represented the delay, and energy loss between the the different take offs. It was very friendly. Delay = Loss of Energy.

Maybe we will see the chart on here soon.
Just you wait...

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”