Bottom Arm Collapsing

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Bottom Arm Collapsing

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:43 am

Yesterday it was brought to my attention that when I takeoff... my bottom arm collapses immediately, not allowing me to push upward with BOTH arms. When I do try to keep it out, it causes a lot of pain (I have tendonitis)... anybody know of anything I can do for this? The pain or stopping the collapsing of my bottom arm? Thanks.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:19 am

I'm working on the same thing right now. People told me my arm was collapsed, but I couldn't believe until I saw video how much it was collapsed.

Make the bottom arm the focus of your attention--if you stick the bottom arm, the top arm will be straight too.

Don't duck your head. Keep your eyes just above the bottom hand and follow it up. Pushing the pole away from you and following the right trajectory with your eyes can move you from clearing your handhold to clearing a foot over your handhold.

Do walking drills. No need for intensity.

Do what has been condemned from time immemorial--flex the pole in the box with about a 4 step runup. Again, look up just as the pole is coming down into the box.

Lastly, don't be under on your takeoff.

Hope this helps. It seems to be making a difference for me.

indestructo
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Former College Coach, Current High School Coach, Post-Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"

Unread postby indestructo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:23 am

some help for the pain..... If it is tendonitis in the elbow that you're talking about, I've had the same problem. You can get a band that will apply pressure on the upper forearm that will help. This is a common problem for tennis players, as well as javelin throwers, and others. Ask someone at a store that carries stuff like that for a tennis elbow band. Should help.
"Heart"

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:15 pm

what do u mean by this... could u explaine a little more about this
Do what has been condemned from time immemorial--flex the pole in the box with about a 4 step runup. Again, look up just as the pole is coming down into the box.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

More info needed

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:32 pm

What length pole are you on?
What is your approach length?
How tall are you?
Is your top arm straight at the plant and takeoff?

The collapsing of the bottom arm could be a bad or good thing. If your applying upward pressure who cares if it collapses. As long as your applying some pressure to keep your body away from the pole till your read to sweep.

If you on a pole under 15 feet the bottom arm probably won't be straight unless your locking it out and thus taking away from your takeoff and sweep anyways. Watch a video of the russian lady and you tell me does her bottom arm stay straight.

The collapsing of the bottom arm is a generic statement. You must get to the real question what is your top arm doing and are you planting under. If your top arm is straight and your taking off in the ideal spot. (not standing still but when in motion: free takeoff position). The collapsing of the arm is not a bad thing if it was kept completely straight on let say a 14 foot pole you would put to big of a bend in the pole you would block out and cause more of a sinking action to occur. The pole would uncoil quickly and you would never beat it to inversion. So all those that told you to lock out your bottom arm are only making you a worst vaulter. Good luck.

This is a quick reply to your post. Sorry don't have enough time to get into great detail. A simple test is to take your pole. Stand up tall with a tall top hand above your head bicep on your ear. Now straighten your bottom arm does the pole tip touch the ground. If not tell me this how can you plant the pole correctly and have a straight bottom arm??????

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:13 pm

I agree with what you are saying and I will go more indepth into my problem. My goal is not to achieve a straight bottom arm(blocking out). I have been told that when I jump it is like there is a collision between my pole and the box.

I will try and use some pics to help explain... and I am usually on a 13'6" holding 12'5", from a 5 step (65), although i have this problem on any lenght run. And I am 5'11".

My jump is much like this picture, I have a straight top but my bottom arm is getting compeltly killed. Also i think that this might have something to do with the bent trail leg.
http://pvpower.polevaultpit.com/04tacom ... 40004.html

What I think of as a better model, is like this picture
http://pvpower.polevaultpit.com/04tacom ... 40130.html

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Need to see the takeoff

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:26 pm

my guess your taking off way under and reaching at the plant but can't tell unless we see a pic of your plant. Also are you diving in at the plant or actually jumping off the ground. Then again if your so far under your simply getting jerked off the ground. either way unless you see where you takeoff from this is a pointless thread.

Also from the looks of it your holding to low, but not sure since we can't see your takeoff.

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:23 pm

Thanks for the responce... I know that I am not inside, and im pretty sure that im not out and diving in, ill check one wednesday. It seems that I have lost my bottom arm, ive tryed slidebox and wall plants maby doing a crapload of them everyday will help.

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

If thats the Case

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:22 am

Then your holding to low. If you are really on with your plant and not under. Then your simply holding to low. Raise your hand grip slowly and I bet you will kiss the pole less and less.

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Re: More info needed

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:26 pm

ADTF Academy wrote:What length pole are you on?
What is your approach length?
How tall are you?
Is your top arm straight at the plant and takeoff?

13'1 pacerfx
approach is 8 Lefts
i'm 5'4"
top arm

and oh my god... i was just watching a couple clips of some jumps durin the summer. my top arm is straight, but my bottom arm comes nowhere near to being straight.

LHSpolevault
PV Master

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:28 pm

for my case, i have a few clips under the "13ft tries" which are right by the pit.

http://www.angelfire.com/ex2/vaultnaked/clips.html

they're windows media files.

i appreciate all the advice.

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:01 pm

looking at your under 13 jumps your top arm is pretty much straight by the time you take off, but like you said, your bottom arm is not up. Also, you get your trail leg back, but you never really use it to whip through the swing. It looks like once your trail leg is back, you just pick up your legs. Cuz of this, you never finish the swing and get upside down inverted. i love analyzing videos

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”