Such Thing as Too Much Penetration?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

JTred
PV Whiz

Such Thing as Too Much Penetration?

Unread postby JTred » Fri May 13, 2005 8:56 pm

Today I was at a jv meet and I got a foot below my pr. The thing is, I pushed my standards back to 31 1/2 and I was still hitting the bar on the way up. I even almost went out the back of the pit. I don't think I should be getting this much penetration since I just moved up like 2 handholds and now I'm at the top of the pole. I tried my hardest to look up and not at the bar and get inverted. How can I get inverted faster and transfer my energy into vertical instead of horizontal?

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Fri May 13, 2005 9:16 pm

I would have to wager a guess that you are BLOWING through your pole if you are almost going out of the back of the pit.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri May 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Get a bigger pole.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

ECVaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby ECVaulter » Sat May 14, 2005 1:03 am

Yeah I think the only logical thing to do is get a bigger pole.
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, im going out shoeless."

"Thai chili."

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Sat May 14, 2005 8:50 am

Yes, ideally you need a stiffer pole; and maybe a longer one too. You are blowing through so badly that the standard advice, "up 6 inches back 5 lbs." may not apply in your situation. Let me elaborate.

Typically, if someone is holding at the top of their pole and blowing through, the standard advice is to move to a pole 6 inches longer and 5 lbs. softer. Example: If you are holding at the top of an 11-130 and blowing through (the way you describe your jump - standards at the max 31.5"/80 cm but still hitting the bar on the way up you are a poster-child for "blowing through"), the next logical pole to move to is an 11'6"-125 (6 inches longer and 5 lbs. softer...assuming that you are still "legal" on a pole 5 lbs. softer). But because you are blowing through to such an extent, it may make sense to go "6 inches up, same weight rating." For most manufacturers' poles 6" in length is equal to roughly 10 lbs. in stiffness. So, in your case of an extreme blow through, a 10 lbs. increase will PROBABLY be okay.

Other opinions?

If another pole is not an option right now ($$$? not enough time to order another? etc.), you can use a "band-aid"/quick fix by moving in a left with your current pole. In other words, if you are running 7 lefts, you might try moving in to 6 lefts. That'll reduce your speed incrementally, which should, theoretically, make it so you won't blow through quite so badly. If you still blow through with one less left, try reducing your run by 2 lefts. This kind of adjustment, as I said, is probably best if viewed as just a temporary fix until you can get the right pole.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sat May 14, 2005 9:52 am

lonestar wrote:Get a bigger pole.

I second that! And remember that this is a GOOD problem, it means you're vault is getting better...like the other guy i was telling, you could have a slow trail leg, but to me it sounds like you just need a stiffer pole, i would go for stiffer before going to longer...my 2cents ;)

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sat May 14, 2005 9:54 am

f another pole is not an option right now ($$$? not enough time to order another? etc.), you can use a "band-aid"/quick fix by moving in a left with your current pole. In other words, if you are running 7 lefts, you might try moving in to 6 lefts. That'll reduce your speed incrementally, which should, theoretically, make it so you won't blow through quite so badly. If you still blow through with one less left, try reducing your run by 2 lefts. This kind of adjustment, as I said, is probably best if viewed as just a temporary fix until you can get the right pole.

Yup, thats a good idea too ;) Last year at state, i kept penetrating too much, so my coach had to move me in a shoe! It worked though...

patybobady
PV Pro
Expertise: High School Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby patybobady » Sun May 15, 2005 1:43 am

izzystikchik wrote:
Yup, thats a good idea too ;) Last year at state, i kept penetrating too much, so my coach had to move me in a shoe! It worked though...

Wait, I'm confused. I believe Russ meant (but I could be wrong) that you go one contact less, not just a shoe or move your step closer by 1'. Moving your step in 1' will not prevent too much penetration, bigger poles and higher grip (if not overbending) are what is needed. That or moving the step shorter, from say 5 lefts instead of 6.
Fight the good fight: It's nice to be great but it's far greater to be nice.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sun May 15, 2005 11:09 pm

Your description would indicate, as everyone has already said, you need a bigger pole. Tell us the details of your jump.
what height were you jumping
pole length
grip height
pole weight rating
your weight
number of lefts in your run

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Sun May 15, 2005 11:23 pm

Yes, you are right, Patybobady, I did mean to move up one or two lefts (not just a shoe length).
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Mon May 16, 2005 8:35 pm

well they both make perfect sense. I have found just one problem with that that's pretty unique. This girl on my team hods at like 11ft for a full run, but if she takes off just 1 left, her grips drops down to like 9'6....thats prolly not how it is with you though

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Tue May 17, 2005 10:02 am

master wrote:Your description would indicate, as everyone has already said, you need a bigger pole. Tell us the details of your jump.
what height were you jumping
pole length
grip height
pole weight rating
your weight
number of lefts in your run

Pole length=13'
grip=12'6"
Rating=135
My weight=134
Lefts=7
Attempt Height=9'

I was bending the heck out of the pole but I haven't cleared 9' at 12'6 grip yet, but i've cleared 9'6 at around 12' grip Could this be because at 12'6" I was getting more bend?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”