Having trouble moving up poles

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Having trouble moving up poles

Unread postby RoySloppy » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:31 pm

i blew threw a 13 160 skypole, and my coach told me to get the next biggest pole, a 14 165 spirit. now im holding a little lower on the spirit than i was on the skypole, but now i just cant seem to get in the pit. i just go straight up, with not alot of bend, but then i come straight back down. any advice to correct this?
VA for Life!!

eleazar
PV Fan
Lifetime Best: 19'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Unread postby eleazar » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:43 pm

if you are on the 13' 160 a 13' 165 is the next pole...a 14' 165 is like three maybe 4 poles bigger than that 13 160...reason why is because 13 and 14 foot poles are measured on a different length span...if you had a 14' 145 it would be more likely to be the proper stiffness.

be sure to only hold one maybe two inches higher when going to a stiffer pole, also the only reason to go to a stiffer pole is when you are bending the pole too much and landing deep in the pit.

good luck

xtremevaulter

plus...

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:05 pm

Plus the change from sky pole which tends to have an easier bend to a spirit which has a bit stiffer bend to it. That can also make things very difficult. But definetly what eleazar said that is a generally huge jump in poles. That is what makes pole vaulting a dangerous sport.

AdrianVaulting
PV Newbie

Unread postby AdrianVaulting » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:42 pm

Yeah I see what you mean I was on a 13' 6 165 Skypole and I went to a 150 , 14' Pacer III and I still get in the same so I think it's your plant or you just need to get a smaller pole b/c as everyone else siad that's a big jump from poles

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”