Tips for a Newbie

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

retributioninred
PV Newbie

Tips for a Newbie

Unread postby retributioninred » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:01 pm

Hi, I've started pole vaulting in my high school just a few days ago. I am already in love with it, although my height isn't something to brag about. I was wondering if anyone had hints or tips or suggestions for someone who is just starting.

Thank you
Last edited by retributioninred on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtremevaulter

Just...

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:05 pm

Just stick with it, It can get very disappointing at times, but have a blast. :D

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:07 pm

patience...pole vaulting is and event that definetely takes time to learn. A lot the elite vaulters have about 12 years of vaulting under their belt, if not more. you'll get it eventually, just keep at it and most importantly have fun
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:17 pm

work on your speed and harness that speed in an effective plant. when i began vaulting all i did were pole runs and plant drills, i wasnt good at all then and it took me 2 years to clear a height in a meet. but it soon payed off--so stick with it...
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:23 pm

The biggest tip i can give to a beginner is to learn how to plant right, now. If you start jumping with a bad plant and get into that habit, its probably the hardest thing to overcome technically down the road. It amazes me how many people have sloppy plants and are wasting SO much energy at take off. Anyway, learn young and you'll never have any problems with it

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:08 am

It amazes me how many people have sloppy plants and are wasting SO much energy at take off.

Listen to this guy, hes pretty much hit the nail on the head. Plant high and stay down.
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

retributioninred
PV Newbie

Unread postby retributioninred » Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:27 am

Thanks guys (and girls). I really appreciate all of your tips and encouragement!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”