swinging up

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

fink10
PV Newbie

swinging up

Unread postby fink10 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:46 pm

i have cleared 10' as a sophmore but i am having trouble swinging through to vertical can anyone help me

Shorty220
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Shorty220 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:05 pm

rope swing drills over a bungee help muchisimo...but i dont know where any local ones are in nj..

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:45 am

work on your runway some more.. and when you think your runway is good.. keep working on it <whip cracking>
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:33 am

skyin' pimp wrote:work on your runway some more.. and when you think your runway is good.. keep working on it <whip cracking>

You got that right. What do you think, 95%...maybe 99% of all technical problems stem from the run & takeoff?
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:15 pm

yeah, i'll go with the 99% i'll be at meets and people will ask how to get better off the pole.. i say "runway", and they say, "i think my speed is pretty good, and i take-off pretty well, and i'm using a pole rated at my weight".. hmmmmmm.. yeah, you must be REAL efficient on and off the ground.. for all you dumbasses that think your runway and take-off is good.. i would tend to doubt that.. watch yourself in a 50 meter dash, and then watch yourself with a pole.. if they don't look the same.. then your runway sucks.. period.. (granted, your w/o pole running technique may also suck, but, it's a start)
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

pv cowgirl
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pv cowgirl » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:22 pm

i know exactically what ya mean i always mess it up but i i always try to swing up and when i do swing up i mess up i forget to driive my knee or forget to lock out my arm it gets so frustrating but oh well we'll just have to hang in there :rose:
ouch........i fell off again

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:58 pm

And fire whomever told you to lock out your arm.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:40 am

vaultmd wrote:And fire whomever told you to lock out your arm.

Agreed :yes:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

vaultmom
PV Fan

swing

Unread postby vaultmom » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:24 am

remember when you were a kid and you played on the monkey bars... go play on the monkey bars. practice swinging up and going verticle up to the top of the bars. shoulder and arm strength. The runway advice is very good. you cant swing if you cant get enough speed and your approach is wrong.
Bob's Mom
Raise the bar

bball_luvr23
PV Beginner

Unread postby bball_luvr23 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:59 pm

I don't completely agree about not locking your arm at all. I do, but just for a while, then I relax it, and it works once you get the timing down.
But then again I've only been vaulting for 5 months, and bending for 2 1/2, so take it for what its worth.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:37 pm

tell me the last time you saw an elite vaulter lock their bottom arm

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:05 pm

skyin' pimp wrote:.. for all you dumbasses that think your runway and take-off is good.. i would tend to doubt that..

ha, yeah, i remember thinking that myself in about 9th grade. i was wrong. now at 21 years old i sometimes think the opposite: that i have a good top. im probably wrong about that as well. it seems about the time you are getting comfortable with your technique and stuff you stop improving...

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”