Stalling Out at Higher Hand Grips

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

juice207
PV Newbie
Expertise: First Year High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Stalling Out at Higher Hand Grips

Unread postby juice207 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey I'm new to pole vaulting, this being my first year, but I have been doing pretty well. My PR is 8' 6" but i know I can go higher. I have searched the forum for a while but can't find anything that relates to my problem. So I'm using a 145 lb. pole, not sure on the height, and I weigh 140. I'm about 5' 8". When I grip the pole at about 13-14 hand grips I travel into the pit relatively easily, but as soon as I jump up to 16-17 hand holds I can't get past the box. I don't bend the pole at all at 13-14 but I bend it a good amount at 16-17. I keep my arms straight throughout the vault and my plant foot is right on mark. I use a 6 step run up. One thing I do find is that when the pole straightens back out, my body and legs are parallel with the pole, as in my feet are pointing toward the ground. I have no idea what is wrong and could really use some advice.

juice207
PV Newbie

Re: Stalling Out at Higher Hand Grips

Unread postby juice207 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Just thought I should add that I have my standards set at 18 during meets.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 pm

You are not ready to hold higher.

Lower your grip back down to where you can safely swing up, get the pole to vertical, jump at your grip or better, and land safely in the pit.

Do not be in a hurry to hold high and/or bend the pole. Learn to effectively run and swing first.

15' 9 1/2" was made with a 13' 6" grip on a steel pole with basically no bend.

juice207
PV Newbie

Unread postby juice207 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 pm

botakatobi wrote:You are not ready to hold higher.

How do I know when I'm ready to hold higher and bend the pole? I feel like I am almost there but can't quite get it.

botakatobi
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former vaulter. College, HS and elite coach. Master level USATF official
Lifetime Best: 15'1"
Favorite Vaulter: Seagren, Davies, Meadows, Rand

Unread postby botakatobi » Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 pm

In my opinion, when you can jump at least 11' with a straight pole. By then you should have enough skill to swing up with a good pull, turn and push. Then, you can transition to a pole that will bend.

It is crucial that vaulters first learn to swing on a stiff pole and learn to jump over their grip.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”