Advice for getting invert

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

MethodMan420
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Advice for getting invert

Unread postby MethodMan420 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:08 pm

I've been vaulting for about a year now and I still can't clear anything (6' is a stretch). Can anyone please give me advice for workouts and drills to help me make space and reach invert

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Advice for getting invert

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:12 am

Practice pole vaulting on sand and grass! It's a good way to figure out on your own what is working and what isn't. If you've been vaulting a year and are only jumping 6', I'm guessing you don't have much coaching?

MethodMan420
PV Newbie

Unread postby MethodMan420 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:12 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Practice pole vaulting on sand and grass! It's a good way to figure out on your own what is working and what isn't. If you've been vaulting a year and are only jumping 6', I'm guessing you don't have much coaching?

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:10 am

I understand you completely. Last year i could only clear 7'. Anyway, i never even thought about an invert or turn because i had no idea how to do it. But after practicing you get the hang of it. Anyway to be able to invert, you have to pull, to be able to pull you have to jump up. I assume you are still stiff poling so you probably will not have a big inversion. Anyway, most of the time, a good inversion comes with years of experience, if you notice a beginning vaulter who clears 10ft will grip anywhere between 10'6 and 11'3, but a collegiate athlete clearing 18 will grip 15'6 (or something like that), it is because all the years of practice, upper body strength, and proper technique help them invert. So to be able to achieve a proper technique, run tall with knees high, your first few steps being bigger than the last steps before you jump up. When you plant the pole, start dropping it at your 2nd left from a five, your 4th left from a 7 and immediatly from 3's and 4's. If you drop the pole properly, you will make enough space, if you are still not making =enough space (with your bottom arm) move back a half. When you jump up, jump vertically not horizontally, and drive your right knee up, and pull and swing. The pull and swing will lead to a higher vault, a better inversion, and turning. Remember don't get discouraged if you can't invert immediately, it takes time
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livwilson
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7'6''
Favorite Vaulter: Anna Rogowska

Unread postby livwilson » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:02 pm

HELP!!! I'm a freshman in highschol, (Pr of 7 feet) and my coach told me today that I need to start inverting! I really want to do good in my upcoming meets so I can possibly letter this year. Anybody have some tips 4 inverting?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”