How can I improve?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

mei814
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 6ft6in
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

How can I improve?

Unread postby mei814 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:52 am

This is my second year vaulting. I'm a girl and i'm only about 5ft1 and weight around 104lb. Im using a 120 pole (no, I can't bent the pole) and the highest I can jump is 6 ft. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, I'm running my fastest speed and swinging myself up, but my leg always hits the pole down or i would just go straight into the mat. My coach told me to hold higher a little so i did, and I landed sideways almost hitting the standard with my head. Am I not running fast enough or Is it that i have to built up more upper body strength? Both? Please give me some advice I would really like to make at least 8 ft this year.

Rhino
PV Pro

Re: How can I improve?

Unread postby Rhino » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:27 pm

You don't have to be running that fast at your current level. Control is more important. You can develop this control doing 1, 2, or 3 step vault on the grass (hold low). Also, take short approaches and vault into the long jump pit. Grass and sand vaulting should be part of every workout.

Eight feet is reasonable by the end of this season, but develop control first, then start adding some speed.

mei814
PV Newbie

Unread postby mei814 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Rhino wrote: Eight feet is reasonable by the end of this season, but develop control first, then start adding some speed.

Thanks for the feedback! What do you mean by control?

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:17 am

mei814 wrote: Thanks for the feedback! What do you mean by control?

By Control, i think Rhino means to have a more proper run and pole drop. Drop the pole on time, not late, so from a three start dropping immediately (slowly) and from a five start lowering it at your 3rd step (or second....i just do it naturally i forget). Also focus on getting your knees up and running tall. Furhtermore, i do not know what type of takeoff your coach teaches but make sure it is the proper way. Once you have proper control and technique while you run, you should start running faster naturally. Also, dont grip up all the time, it isn't safe. Start gripping low, and if it feels right grip up three inches and move your run back 6 inches or a foot depending on how far out you are at takeoff. Doing pole runs on the grass should help with your control down the runway. I had the same problem as you. My freshman year i couldnt 7'6" and now my PR is 8'6". thats 1.5 feet of improvement because i was able to control my run, pole drop, and pole plant and take off which allowed me to immensely improve. But it sounds to me like your coach isnt the greatest if he makes you grip up 6 inches at a time thinking it will help you, because it wont. I would recommend joining a club near you in the summer and fall. Gripping up before you have good vaults at lower grips is dangerous, and you will not jump as well. Trust me, grip at a lower place on the pole and keep moving up and back until its comfortable, and you are still dong full jumps. Some people have hurt themselves by gripping up too much.
Last edited by Rosie<3 on Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mei814
PV Newbie

Unread postby mei814 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:35 am

Thank you so much! I'm starting to go a little higher now :)

Rosie<3
PV Wannabe
Lifetime Best: 9'6"

Unread postby Rosie<3 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:36 pm

No problem! Don't get worried if you can't get it all down at once. I still have problems with the pole drop and jumping up. I know a NCAA champion who has trouble with the pole drop sometimes. So just try everything. If you can't get it all at once, focus on one thing until you get it right, then focus on the next thing, and so on. 8ft is very reasonable, that's only 2 ft to go! My goal is to go up 2 or 2.5 feet by spring too. It's a very reasonable goal as long as you work your hardest! : )

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”