Pressing

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

THisguy
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current HS Vaulter-2 years
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Pressing

Unread postby THisguy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Hello, this is my first post to this forum. I am a second year vaulter and I am just beginning to press the pole. However, I am having issues keeping my lower arm straight, as I continue to break it on every vault, no matter how much I concentrate on it. Any tips?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pressing

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:22 am

I recommend watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSah2B6Xnw&feature=gv

You don't need to have your bottom arm straight, the only wait to get your bottom arm straight as a beginner is to block out and do a lot of stuff wrong.

LoJo Vault Assault
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former: College Vaulter, Elite Vaulter, DI College Coach; Current: High School, Elite, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 19-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: LoJo

Unread postby LoJo Vault Assault » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Learn to do it right from the start. Keep your left arm out and moving pressing up and away from you.

Do not allow your pole to come closer throught he left arm.

When the left arm collapses immediatetly, it means you are not moving the pole as you begin to work on it.

You may point out video of somebody doing a vault with a breaking left arm but remember that it doesnt make it right.

Additionally, when looking at video of Sergey, or another elite vaulter who may have occassionaly had a slight break in the left arm, watch the pole angle and how it increases each frame from the end of the drop. This will help point you to the real cause of the breaking left arm with the poles they are using. It is much more difficult to maintain the distance in the left arm with a stiffer pole.

Even a beginner can move the pole through a pushing left arm, without blocking.
LoJo Vault Assault
"The Next Generation of Vaulters"
http://www.LoJoVaultAssault.com

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:04 pm

LoJo,

I have been a fan of yours for a long time, and it is great to have your input on this highly debated issue. I have enjoyed checking out your new website.

I am trying to clarify for my own understanding, and for that of other readers of these forums.

While I agree that the bottom arm should not collapse immediately or completely, I have to respond to your comments about Bubka's bottom arm. The best source of information I have regarding Bubka's intent comes from his coach, Petrov. According to his own words (via a translator), Petrov believes that there is an advantage to be gained by flexing the bottom arm out after the takeoff is complete. In his speech in Reno from 2005, Petrov is clear that the bottom arm should be completely straight and strong at the plant, @90 degrees to the pole, but that it should flex outward after the initial upward push, allowing the vaulters chest to drive forward and chase the pole, as the bottom hand comes over the head. He asserts that this gives the ability to swing the whole body through the top hand up over the top of the pole, instead of swinging up beneath the pole.

Petrov's speech in Reno in 2005, paraphrased:

"...take off through the left hand, and after that, you load the right hand..."

"...after the initial push upward, you need to focus on the energy coming forward, so you should bend the left arm up to 90 degrees..."

"...(translator:) he is strong about it, you cannot hold the left hand straight after the takeoff, if you do the swing is going to be from the bottom instead of from the whole body..."

"...if you keep the bottom arm straight after the takeoff it will result in a low swing..."

The whole speech is great, but the discussion I referenced starts at 45 minutes or so.
http://youtu.be/bMUQaWfAx48

I know that it is possible to achieve the right position after takeoff with full bottom arm pressure, but most kids with low grips who try this are not going to get much benefit, imho. Perhaps your comments assume that kids can learn to be rigid in the elbows, but elastic in the shoulders? I agree, but isn't it easier to teach a straight bottom arm as the vaulter advances, the step comes out, and the grip goes up; rather than trying to fix a blocked swing?

Tom

LoZart
PV Newbie
Expertise: Elite Vaulter, Former College Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.97m
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby LoZart » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:01 pm

First, it is never better to teach something wrong because it is easier.

I agree that you cannot block, but the key to understanding the difference between blocking and the correct straight arm needed to efficiently move the pole through the drop is within the elbow.

The closer the elbow is to pointing down the more the vaulter is blocking and vice versa.

Petrov confirms this, as you quoted.

You quoted “ the left arm should flex outward after the initial upward push.” But the vaulters arm work direction does not change. The Vaulter maintains this pressure as they continue into the Inversion. It is the coach that can view the outward flexing of the arm, or flexing away from the core.

Shift your perception to an overhead view and watch a vaulter coming into the Take Off. The vaulter with arms fully extended and not blocking will find his arms will “absorb” the impact as the vaulter progresses through the Take Off resulting in a slightly outward flexed arm.

Flexing outward is away from the body or core.

In contrast, the vaulter who collapses the left arm at the Take Off sacrifices elevation, speed, energy transfer, etc.
The key to observing this is in the pole. The upper pole tip should rise and continue to rise in a frame by frame advancement from the Takeoff position until the pole is vertical. When the left arm is not performed correctly, you will observe multiple frames lacking pole movement as the vaulter closes the distance to the pole.

Video will allow for a better aid for this concept.

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:28 pm

LoZart,

Thank you for the response. I agree with everything you just stated. I have never suggested that the bottom arm be anything less than strong, just that there is more to it than that.

I only wanted to clarify that the straight bottom arm can only be done a certain way (upward pressure with the elbow facing out) to avoid blocking, and it will bend outward as the vaulter's body comes forward (but not because you are letting it collapse...quite the opposite). Somebody reading your first post that didn't understand that, or have guidance from a coach that understands this concept, might just come out and jam their bottom arm into the pole, turning their shoulders out of square, facing the elbow forward, and ruining the vault. I continue to see this technique used by many coaches and vaulters and it is a shame...that's why I always comment on these threads.

Agreed, if the pole is centered above the vaulter and the shoulders are square, the bottom arm can be as strong and straight as possible without blocking. Thank you for adding more information to your original post...you have a great deal of knowledge and experience, and aspiring vaulters really appreciate your comments.

Here is a video of Brad Walker doing exactly what we are talking about. I was going to link to your 5.95 jump on Stabhochsprung.com but you can't link to the videos directly. In that jump your arm is definitely as straight as possible above the head without blocking...great jump
http://youtu.be/rIZWb2Ou71Y

Happy holidays,
Tom

THisguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby THisguy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 am

So, to clarify I shouldn't be LOCKING the arm, but simply pressing out with it?

LoZart
PV Newbie
Expertise: Elite Vaulter, Former College Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.97m
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby LoZart » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:44 pm

Correct. You should not be blocking the left arm.
But you should be applying force through it.
You should never "allow it" to collapse.

THisguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby THisguy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Are there any exercises that could help to do this? I keep psyching myself out every run.

tsorenson
PV Pro

Unread postby tsorenson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Sliding box can be a good drill for people who have a hard time getting full extension at the plant. Just make sure your arm pressure is directed upward, and you are leading with your chest. I also find it helpful to try to use the arms to drive the box forward as fast as possible after the takeoff.

It is likely that you have issues with your plant mechanics that are making it impossible to have the pole in position above your head in time to jump and extend, and/or you are under. Hard to say without any video!

Try to "hit" the pole (upward) with both arms at the plant...think of it this way: would you rather deliver the hit, or receive the hit?

Good luck,
Tom

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Fri May 25, 2012 1:37 am

Hi. I was just reading through this and had a question. So the bottom left arm is still extended at takeoff creating pressure correct? And then it flexes out a little bit simply to let the chest drive forward and not the inability to keep it extended? Because similar to this video of brad walker i notice that my arm starts out extended, elbow out at take off and the. It slightly bends out and then straightens again as i start to row and swing. Because i know every coach tells vaulters to keep the bottom arm straight. But can that really be done while not blocking out? Or should what they tell the vaulters be to keep PRESSURE with the bottom arm because it will bend out after leaving the ground and then straighten back out?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Realize that the take-off and the swing will look very different if you are on a 13' than they will on a 17'... There is enough space in the swing and take-off for the bottom arm to be very straight and LOOK like it's blocking for everyone using a 17' pole, but that's not the case. Just a reminder...

Also realize we're talking about maybe a tenth of a second when we say "the left arm should flex outward after the initial upward push" or anything similar. It would be nice if someone could give an account of how that action really works with a very detailed, super slow motion, close-up video!
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”