Gain weight or lose it?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Mellemeter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Newbie
Lifetime Best: 4-5 feet
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Alex Sarantos

Gain weight or lose it?

Unread postby Mellemeter » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:11 am

Hi, I'm new to the whole pole vaulting thing and could use some help. My coach knows nothing of vaulting but said that if I was interested in vaulting I could try it out. So last week he gave me a pole and said "see what happens." I grabbed the pole at the very back like I see olympic vaulters do, I ran like crazy down the strip, planted, lost my grip and flipped forward, landing in the metal box. Since then I have been trying to learn but I simply cannot bend the pole. I weigh 148-150lbs and the only poles we have at my school are a 140 weighted pole and a 160 weighted pole. My coach tells me that I will break the 140 if I use it, but I can't even budge the 160. So at this point I don't know if I should try to lose weight and use the 140 pole, or if I should gain weight and still try to bend the stiff as broomhandle 160.

Your thoughts?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Gain weight or lose it?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:44 am

For starters, when your starting, you never grip the top of the pole. About 9 foot up is plenty for the start.

What length are the two poles? That is really important.

But most importantly, unless you are like 5'6 or under, you do not need to be under 140. How tall are you?

But when you are learning the weight of the pole is not really important, you are not going to be bending it to start with anyway. And unless you are gripping the top of the 140 it is not going to break. I am gonna guess that 140 is somewhere around 13' so it is fine until you are gripping up to like 11'. But it all really depends on the length of the pole. So figure out what those are and you can go from there.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 am

Obviously your coach is an idiot and no one at your school cares if you kill yourself. Watching this video is a good place to start... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 052593028#

I also really recommend buying the book I sell in my store. You can buy it from NeoVault.com, I don't care, I sell it because it's a good book, not because I am trying to get rich.

As to your original question, your weight is completely irrelevant at this point, that is not what you need to be worrying about.

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Obviously your coach is an idiot and no one at your school cares if you kill yourself. Watching this video is a good place to start... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 052593028#

I also really recommend buying the book I sell in my store. You can buy it from NeoVault.com, I don't care, I sell it because it's a good book, not because I am trying to get rich.

As to your original question, your weight is completely irrelevant at this point, that is not what you need to be worrying about.

Totally agree. Allowing anyone who's not skilled as a vaulter, to grip at the top of a pole and attempt to vault, should not be allowed anywhere near a pole vault pit. Pole vault is a progression. You crawl before you walk. You walk before you run.
The book and the DVD Becca talks about, is a sound investment. It can give you valuable insights into vaulting with safety, even if you are a total novice to begin with. However, find someone who can give you proper feedback (and your current coach is not it, I guess).

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 am

The interesting part for a novice starts at 10:00 on the video Becca linked to earlier. Really important to get good habits from the start, and learn how it feels.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:14 am

now before we go calling people idiots, lets get all the info. This kid could be 6'4 and it could have been an 11' 140, not really that tough even for beginner to grip top. I wouldn't suggest it.. but its possible.

My team mate in high school was about 6'3 and one day at practice he just grabbed the top of a 13' 155 and was like 'i wonder what will happen', and guess what, it worked and he started clearing like 10' by just bending his knees over the bar his whole first year. Then we found a real coach and he ended up doing like 14'6. So taking chances doesn't always end too horribly.

Barefoot
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby Barefoot » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:29 am

To try and actually answer the question. If you are fat, lose weight through exercise and healthy eating. If you are skinny, get stronger. Learn to vault properly with the right run, right grip and right pole so you are getting safely into the pit... in the beginning this does NOT mean bending the pole. Choosing the right pole involves far more variables than you have provided us with. The short answer is learn to stiff pole vault on the 160, slowly raising grip as your penetration allows you to clear a bar with the standards pushed back to 80cm.

Its pole vaulting, not pole bending.
Last edited by Barefoot on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:15 pm

still absolutely moronic coaching move. someone who has no idea what to do with their hands, where to run from, which foot to jump off has no business capping a pole and running from far away.

if you want to learn, and your coach is that dumb, go to some camps. any of them will be much better and safer than whats going on there. this sport doesn't need any more casualties

VaultPurple wrote:now before we go calling people idiots, lets get all the info. This kid could be 6'4 and it could have been an 11' 140, not really that tough even for beginner to grip top. I wouldn't suggest it.. but its possible.

My team mate in high school was about 6'3 and one day at practice he just grabbed the top of a 13' 155 and was like 'i wonder what will happen', and guess what, it worked and he started clearing like 10' by just bending his knees over the bar his whole first year. Then we found a real coach and he ended up doing like 14'6. So taking chances doesn't always end too horribly.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:11 am

Mellemeter wrote:Hi, I'm new to the whole pole vaulting thing and could use some help. My coach knows nothing of vaulting but said that if I was interested in vaulting I could try it out. So last week he gave me a pole and said "see what happens." I grabbed the pole at the very back like I see olympic vaulters do, I ran like crazy down the strip, planted, lost my grip and flipped forward, LANDING IN THE METAL BOX!!!!!!!!!. Since then I have been trying to learn but I simply cannot bend the pole. I weigh 148-150lbs and the only poles we have at my school are a 140 weighted pole and a 160 weighted pole. My coach tells me that I will break the 140 if I use it, but I can't even budge the 160. So at this point I don't know if I should try to lose weight and use the 140 pole, or if I should gain weight and still try to bend the stiff as broomhandle 160.

Your thoughts?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

It is difficult to believe that this kind of thing is still happening! But clearly it is! My best advice is that you take up an event where the coach does know something about the event -before you kill yourself.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:25 am

So taking chances doesn't always end too horribly. No - but when it does it can be dammed costly for everyone involved.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Where are you located? Maybe we can find someone close by who can give you some real help.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”