Why is this happening?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

bb12334
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka, Renaud Lavillenie

Why is this happening?

Unread postby bb12334 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:35 pm

I started pole vault about a month ago. I am a sophomore in high school and am 5'6 and 130 pounds. In my first meet I didn't really know that much about technique and just went for it. I got over 7', 7'6 and then on 8' my coach said i needed to drive my knee and push off at takeoff more. This worked and i managed to clear 8'6. During that meet I used a 12 ft 130 pole. The next practice I managed to clear a 9' bungee twice and was very happy. I went home excited and began looking at the proper technique for jumping. I watched videos and read blogs and thought it would help. The next practice I used a 12 ft 130 pole, same brand but a different physical pole. I was unable to get any bend on it and got frustrated. My friend said he wanted to move from a 120 to a 130 pole. I said we could switch, thinking a lighter pole would allow me to practice getting bend. It didn't work though, and i still could not get any bend. The majr difference was I was running up faster to the box and maybe I couldn't control it. During the next meet I cleared 8 by a good 6 inches but then was unable to clear 8'6. Is it normal to do well your first meet and then the next one do worse. Or is there something I can do to succeed more. I think I may have overthought it and try too much technqiue for my level. What can I do? I am also switching back to my original 130 pole so I will see if that makes a difference.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: Why is this happening?

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Forget about bending for right now. You never 'try' and bend a pole when pole vaulting correctly. It bends because of the speed you carry into the jump from your run and a good chest drive. Because even at 5'6 130 if you ran and took off right, a 12' 130 would be way too small of a pole, there are guys your size using as big as 15' 170s or bigger.

But as far as your question on is it typical to not do as well in one meet as another, the answer is yes. The littlest thing can make the biggest difference in how high you jump, and being new you are going to be really inconsistent in the way you jump.

Best advice, just work on the basics with that 12' 130 of trying to run comfortably with the pole, plant it high over your head, jump up and into the pit leading with your chest and then swing your body with a straight left leg (presuming your are right handed) up and over your head and turn over the bar or bungee. Once you do all of these steps correct that pole will bend on its on.

Here is a good video showing that you do not have to bend the pole to pole vault. This is just a vaulter working on good technique straight poling (his pole does not bend because it is really stiff).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1UXdEW1mNY

I am also guessing you are not holding the top of the pole, poles get stiffer as you hold lower, so if you jump and the pole does not bend but you land deep on the mat, you can move your grip up about three inches on the same pole.

ps. videos make it a lot easier to figure out what is wrong

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Why is this happening?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:13 pm

VaultPurple is right, you really should not be worrying about bending the pole right now. Just focus on being as tall as possible when you jump off the ground, both with your arms and your whole body.

Do also keep in mind that the pole only bends a certain way. Has your coach shown you the soft side of the pole?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”