I don't know what to focus on, help? (also other Q)

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

SRpolevaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: First Year High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 8'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

I don't know what to focus on, help? (also other Q)

Unread postby SRpolevaulter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Ok well I've started bending this week and I have issues combining all of the techniques into one motion and end up focusing on inconsequential details and wasting my vaults, making me tired and VERY sloppy. What is something or a couple things I should really concentrate on while I'm on the runway that won't distract me and will help me with my vaults? I'm doing well it's just very frustrating for me because the second I focus on one thing, for example keeping the front arm in the right position, I'll do it perfectly but everything else goes out the window. If anyone has any ideas, please post them they would be a lot of help.
Also, I had a question about pole vault camps. If I were to go to any pole vault camp in the US, not worried about cost, where would you recommend? any input is appriciated.

-Hannah

Andy_C
PV Pro

Re: I don't know what to focus on, help? (also other Q)

Unread postby Andy_C » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:07 am

Hi Hannah,

That's one of the hardest things about being a beginner in a very complicated technical event - where do you begin? The best way to learn is to be able to break it all down into simple elements and then practice these elements over and over again. Once you start getting the basic elements right you'll start putting it all together and work progressively towards the whole vault. This way, when you're a beginner working on the basics you don't have to think about a lot of things at any one time. You only have a couple of very clear goals in every drill and element so achieving them becomes much easier.

For your case, if you have no choice but to do the whole vault - just remember that consistency is key to the run up. Trying to run too hard will put you out of position. My best recommendation is that you concentrate on the run, plant and take off. That in itself is a tall order but just remember, nothing happens in the air without those three so you might as well give yourself the best chance!

As far as camps go, I would HIGHLY recommend you go to one of Altius' camps:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19428

There are lots of good coaches and bad coaches out there. I'll be honest in saying that I really don't know too many coaches in the USA well so I'm not really the one to ask about locals (Altius is from Australia) but I can assure you that his camps are some of the best you can get anywhere. He'll walk you through step by step on all those elements I mentioned above. If you can find a place nearby you should definitely go. Or if you can afford to go anywhere regardless of price you should still definitely go! I'm not sure if all his plans are 100% set for his 2010 tour so new places closer to you may or may not pop up.

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

superpipe
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, Club Coach, High School Coach, Parent
Favorite Vaulter: Who else, Bubka.

Re: I don't know what to focus on, help? (also other Q)

Unread postby superpipe » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Andy_C wrote:My best recommendation is that you concentrate on the run, plant and take off. That in itself is a tall order but just remember, nothing happens in the air without those three so you might as well give yourself the best chance!

Great advice! You'll clear some nice heights by just focusing on these elements. Most stuff in the air after take-off will happen naturally and easily if you get the approach run, plant and take-off right.

Andy_C wrote:Trying to run too hard will put you out of position.

Not sure exactly what Andy_C was trying to say here, but you should always be running at 100% effort. The problem is most young athletes have no idea how to run mechanically correct. The approach run is a very structured run-up that is hard to explain in words. It's exactly the same as 100m sprint technique except your start position is upright and tall and stays that way. You have to come out of your first step at 100%. You should feel like you are bounding "high" during your acceleration and then think "get your feet down quick" around 3-lefts out from the take-off ( mid mark ). I don't want to confuse you too much, but here's a freeze frame of what your first step should look like:

Note the full extension of his back leg. The front leg high knee is a REACTION to this full extension off the drive leg. You must fully extend off your drive leg throughout the entire acceleration phase of the approach run ( until around 3-lefts out from take-off when your leg turn over is more your focus ). Most beginners barely get their drive leg extended 75% which makes then run low to the ground and never reach full efficient running speed. This sets them up in a poor and weak position for what needs to be a powerful exploding take-off.

Now watch the whole video here. Take video of yourself and compare it to the snapshot above and the video below.
http://www.mansfieldathletics.com/pole_ ... Video1.mov

Proper approach run mechanics in the pole vault are the most under trained element of the vault for young athletes. It's also the root of most problems in the vault.

Never think "Start slow and gradually speed up" for your approach run. It looks that way from afar, but you are actually exploding 100% off each step which makes you speed up and stay in the most efficient sprinting position possible.

There's more detail to it than this, but it's the basis for what has to happen.
Chris Mitchell
MitchellPro Vault Club

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”