Pull Turn Help

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Pull Turn Help

Unread postby andy94566 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm

So i just got back from practice and now, the assis. coach says that my plant and swing has gotten better but that once i have my feet up that i am not "pull turning." From what i heard, this pull turn can give me a huge height increase so i realllly want to practice it. Basically, when i am up in the air after the swing, i end up definately not turning and i just hit the bar with my lower back. I don't really get the concept of this whole pulling and turning and i was wondering if anyone can give me tips and helpful suggestions on how to do it. I would really love to learn to do this and any suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Pull Turn Help

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:40 pm

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer... but your assistant coach is not giving you sound advice, and those people who said you'd get a "huge height increase" are full of it.

The best way to improve your jump is to improve your run (and carry)... next would be to improve your plant... then swing... then inversion/drive... THEN pull-turn/fly-away and bar clearance.

Work on the first 4 before the 5th... for a few thousand hours.

If you're concerned about just turning, that's different... Is it just that you go over the bar on your back or side? There are good drills for you to do to help with that, but the focus would just be on swinging long into a turn, nothing more than that. Is THIS what you're looking for?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Unread postby andy94566 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Then can you give me some tips on how to turn properly? because i think that would really help me right now

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 pm

Get a very soft, small pole. Go in to 1 or 2 lefts. Put a bungie up LOOOOOW. Run, jump, SWIIIIIING, turn to land on your stomach.

Slowing everything down is the way to go. :idea:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:32 pm

You can also practice it in the sand pit with a bungee stretched between two hurdles.

CalebGodsey
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10

Unread postby CalebGodsey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:47 pm

A good drill to help slow down the pull turn motion is the Pool Drill. Perfect for summer too. Get a 10 or 11ft pvc pipe from Lowes and go to a pool with corners. You angle the pvc pipe in the corner of the 5ft deep section of the pool, and hold the top of the pole in the same manner you would a real pole if you were inverted. Then step back a few steps into the corner causing the pole to bend. Lift and point feet together and straight, the pole will unbend slowly guiding you through the water. As soon as you feel the pole completely about to unbend pull and turn. You know if you do it right by remaining relatively straight. Have fun

dnike13
PV Wannabe

Unread postby dnike13 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:20 am

A way that I get my vaulters to think about turning is getting them on a shorter run, softer pole, and telling them to try to get their right leg over their left in the smallest diameter possible. I tell them not so spread there legs just a small little motion with their feet and let the hips keep moving too. That's how my dad taught me how to do turn and I pass it onto my HS jumpers. Sometimes, you can get on the ropes and slow it down on there first, but it is very difficult to replicate it properly without someone there who has a good idea of what each step should look like. The most important thing is to make sure that the kids are swinging up and getting deep enough into the pit before they even think about the turn. Hope this helps.

mescalera
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Yelena Isinbayeva

Unread postby mescalera » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:35 pm

andy94566 wrote:So i just got back from practice and now, the assis. coach says that my plant and swing has gotten better but that once i have my feet up that i am not "pull turning." From what i heard, this pull turn can give me a huge height increase so i realllly want to practice it. Basically, when i am up in the air after the swing, i end up definately not turning and i just hit the bar with my lower back. I don't really get the concept of this whole pulling and turning and i was wondering if anyone can give me tips and helpful suggestions on how to do it. I would really love to learn to do this and any suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy, pull turning will increase your vault by at least 6". When you go over without the pull turn your hips aren't able to go up any higher so your back will hit the bar. Do you have split bars or a high bar at your school?

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”