Really Need Help. New to Pole Vaulting

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

andy94566
PV Whiz
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'8"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Walker, Johnson, Miles

Really Need Help. New to Pole Vaulting

Unread postby andy94566 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Hey all. I am a 5' 7, 143 pound sophomore and I just started to pole vault. Unfortunately, our pole vaulting coach just quit and I'm in need of desperate help!!! I'm just coming back from a meet and watching the experienced pole vaulters vault really inspired me to train harder and get better. So, I had some questions with general technique...

1. Where do you look at as you do the appraoch run?
2. Where do you look at as you swing?
3. How exactly do you bend the pole? Before my coach left, she told me to kind of punch the air forward with my left arm during the plant and then pull back, but I did not completely understand that
4. How many steps should you take during your appraoch run?
5. If my legs keep on hitting the bar on the way up, what should i do?
6. If i tend to have a hard time turning around what should i do?
7. What is the timing of the swing supposed to feel like? For instance, are you supposed to swing immediately after you jump and have that "4" shape, or do you hold the "4" shape for a while, and then swing?
8. How high do you try to swing your leg up?
9. What should you be doing with your arms in the majority of your vault?

I have a meet coming up again this coming Saturday and Im looking forward to really PR'ing. Thanks for the help!!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Really Need Help. New to Pole Vaulting

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:00 pm

andy94566 wrote:Hey all. I am a 5' 7, 143 pound sophomore and I just started to pole vault. Unfortunately, our pole vaulting coach just quit and I'm in need of desperate help!!! I'm just coming back from a meet and watching the experienced pole vaulters vault really inspired me to train harder and get better. So, I had some questions with general technique...

1. Where do you look at as you do the appraoch run?
2. Where do you look at as you swing?
3. How exactly do you bend the pole? Before my coach left, she told me to kind of punch the air forward with my left arm during the plant and then pull back, but I did not completely understand that
4. How many steps should you take during your appraoch run?
5. If my legs keep on hitting the bar on the way up, what should i do?
6. If i tend to have a hard time turning around what should i do?
7. What is the timing of the swing supposed to feel like? For instance, are you supposed to swing immediately after you jump and have that "4" shape, or do you hold the "4" shape for a while, and then swing?
8. How high do you try to swing your leg up?
9. What should you be doing with your arms in the majority of your vault?

I have a meet coming up again this coming Saturday and Im looking forward to really PR'ing. Thanks for the help!!!!

1. Look straight ahead, not up or down. As you get closer to the box, you should see it in your peripheral vision, don't stare at it.
2. I recommend trying to look at your top hand or the top of your pole. Don't throw your head back!
3. Don't worry about bending the pole yet.
4. Here is a good rule of thumb for how many steps you should take:
3 lefts (6 steps) - 6’ (must be able to clear 6' from 6 steps before advancing to 8 steps)
4 lefts (8 steps) - 8’ (must be able to clear 8' from 8 steps before advancing to 10 steps)
5 lefts (10 steps) - 10’
6 lefts (12 steps) - 12’

5. First, make sure the standards are all the way back. Then, make sure you are swinging them up, not just swinging them straight at the bar. Finally, raise your grip an inch or two at a time if those things are not helping.

6. You can practice it in the sand pit and on the regular pit over a low bar or bungee.

7. You want to stretch up as much as possible at takeoff, once you have jumped up and stretched, then you should swing right away. You don't want to HOLD the position, but you do want to finish your takeoff.

8. As high as possible!

9. You should be keeping that top arm straight. You should not be hugging the pole or pulling down.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”