Let play a hypothetical game

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Let play a hypothetical game

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 am

Ok I have a girl vaulter, pretty fast and strong... She is gripping 12'2 on a 12'6 155lb pole. She weighs between 130 and 135.
How high should she be able to vault with
1) A below average swing
2) An average swing
3) An excellent swing!!

Remember there is no correct answer to this, just a question for fun that anyone is invited to answer.
One other side not, we have alot of trouble with her swing so we went back to work on the takeoff hoping that would put her in a better position to swing.... Now she is on huge poles for her size!!! But she is not getting much out of it :crying:
On a whole new level 6-20-09

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Let play a hypothetical game

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 am

I jumped 11'6 with similar stats, minus the fast part. I'm really slow, and I weighed a little less than that, so maybe with a better takeoff she can be on bigger poles :) I think when I jumped 11'6 I was on my 12'6 150, but I did get on the 155 a few times, and maybe I was only gripping 11'10 or so.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Lots of other critical variables such as HOW fast, HOW strong and HOW TALL, HOW well coordinated, HOW determined to succeed? But just to keep things going I will suggest - on the basis of actual experience with girls in the 14 -18 age range -- 3.30 ; 3.60 and 4.00 -within two years of taking up a pole. :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:42 pm

hey

on average 12-3 grip = a 12 foot vault... with reasonably good run plant and swing technique..

dj

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:34 am

Thanks guys so far for playing my game, even though like Altius mentioned there are many factors too consider.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 am

good morning

HOW fast, HOW strong, HOW well coordinated.... and

fundemental technique, determines grip.. grip is one of the best predictors of potential..

dj

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby MattM » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:15 am

There's too many factors in the vault to say off of just that. If we knew what she was already jumping at and had a video of her so we could look at her swing, then we could possibly give somewhat of a height in relative to what she's at now, and how the change in the swing would make her jump better. :)

P.S. I had a friend last year who was a guy, (using a mystic pole) with about the same stats as her, he weighed about 130, on a 150lb pole I think, fairly fast for a freshman, and not bad on strength. His swing was below average for a high school vaulter, decent for a freshman. He jumped 11'6 on that 12'6 pole capping it, but there's many other factors that played into this than just his swing. With a great swing, he could have hit 12. He was pretty tall, so I doubt he could go over 12 on that small of a pole.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”