Bending Problem

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Jay
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Bending Problem

Unread postby Jay » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm well aware I should'nt be bending the pole in this stage of my pole vault 'career' but it is starting to happen and get me to higher heights, therefore I would like to save that convo for another time. Recently, when I bend the pole I have been letting go of the pole and not even finishing my vault. I think its more physological because I dont even realize im doing it until after the vault. Does anyone know drills or even anything to pass this type of vaulters block? Any help is greatly appreciated.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Bending Problem

Unread postby KirkB » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Just hang on ... even to the point of not letting go soon enough, and the pole knocking the bar off.

Once you get used too hanging on TOO LONG, then try for the happy medium.

Just an idea.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

mhsvaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby mhsvaulter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Don't worry after awhile you will get used to it

When I first started bending the pole I was scared and it took me awhile to get used to it...Now I embrace it

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 pm

You can also move to a pole (if I remember right you don't have a big selection) that's just a tad stiffer. One that still bends but not quite as much till that one feels right. Then go to the one that is freaking you out. The transition won't be as severe. The fact that you are causing a bend means that you're hitting the pole hard at plant. That's a good thing as long as you're not causing the bend with your left arm. Keep at it. Glad to hear you're progressing along. Keep at it! Later............Mike

montrese05
PV Newbie
Expertise: current high school vaulter.
Lifetime Best: 11'3

Unread postby montrese05 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:03 am

I am no expert at vaulting but i have been doing it for about two years. I was afraid to try to bend the pole. But now i bend easy, and feel safe doing it.

I can say after recording my self and watching i found i was slowing down upon getting near the pit.
work for success.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”