Running sideways, bottom arm collapsing

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

stepup.stepout
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Running sideways, bottom arm collapsing

Unread postby stepup.stepout » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:48 am

This is my first year of true pole vaulting. I did a little last year as a junior, but I wasn't able to compete in it because of my long distance T&F coach. I've only been training for about 2 weeks now and my PR so far has been 8'0. I am using a 160 12'10 pole, and I am holding at about 10 feet.

During my runup, I start with my shoulders square to the runway. I start off at a good speed, but gradually decrease my speed before I get to the box, but I am working on that. One problem is my shoulders also become less and less square to the runway as I get to the box until I'm to the point where I am basically running sideways. Now, if I do get to the box and plant, my bottom arm tends to collapse almost completely. But while I am holding at 10 feet and I plant in the box, it feels as if I am just being jerked back by the pole. In the end I am getting no height and I am not penetrating the pit. What can I do to improve upon this?

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Re: Running sideways, bottom arm collapsing

Unread postby xjoeyx » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:55 pm

as far as the running issue goes, my suggestion would be to do pole runs on the track. stay in one lane. most lanes are about the same width as the runway. (at least from what i've seen) Practice running with the pole and challenge yourself to finish your run directly in front of where you started. (as in try not to start at one side of the lane and finish on the other side or in another lane ;) ) do the pole runs exactly as if you were doing them into the pit with good form and a take-off at the end)

And as for the jerking/bottom arm collapsing this may be a result of you taking off too far in, or just gripping too high for your run. But the pole vault is a continuous chain of events. If something is wrong at one point, then something isn't being done right in the step before it. So try to adjust your run so that you're running with good form and if you're still feeling the jerk try lowering your grip and/or backing up depending on where your take-off is

Hope that helps some.
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”