How do you swing when you are not making it into the pit?

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

fong520
PV Pro

How do you swing when you are not making it into the pit?

Unread postby fong520 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:56 pm

ok this is my problem, when i vault, i supposedly have a great plant adn takeoff, but after that its poo. i need to get over 10 feet by tomorow heh, my coach says i need to swing . whats happening is hwne i go up i bend and i dont go into the pits, i stop above the box or on the runway or something, anyone know wat i can do or whats my prob. i try to swing but it like doesnt swing, my knee goes up but either the other one follows and im not rocking back. or my leg goes up to a position where im like sitting adn thats it.. i hope u all understand, im not really sure how to describe.
thanx for help anyways
i run, therefore im buff.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:18 pm

Sounds like your gripping too high for your ability. Lower your grip a fist at a time until you can swing and land deep in the pit. Also sounds like you don't swing long(stretched out straight),you tend to curl up in a ball right after takeoff which kills any swing. Work on swinging long using a rope or a high bar.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:23 am

Exactly, first thing is lower your grip a fist or two. If you're still stalling out over the box, go down to a smaller pole. As for swinging, try narrowing your grip by moving your bottom hand up closer to your top hand one or two fists, and punching both of your hands UP over your head, and not out in front of you. If you can see your bottom hand, it's not over your head. Lastly, as you take off, try to aggressively punch your chest forward as you punch your hands up. This will at least set you up to swing. Then it's up to you to whip that trail leg through and slam your hands forward to your knees. If you haven't swung after doing all that, then you must have missed some part of it. Go back through that checklist, step by step and perfect each part until you get it. Good luck.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:41 am

ya, really make sure your plant is up, and not forward. Be sure your hands are abouve your head, not in front of you.. thats a big problem i had for a while, that completely stopped my swing, which im still working on. If you egt too used to having your arms in front of you, its a real pain in the @$$ to fix.
What have you done today to get better?

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:31 pm

woooo thanx for the advise all i got 10'6 today wooo pr!!... im not sure if i did the stuff that u were telling me but i was thinking abotu it lol... it was all a blur so it hard to remember, i watn to tape myself to see if i did it though, i think my friedns mom did so i can check that out...
well thanx all apreeciate it..
wooo ill be at champs next week... and i almost had 11'.. o well i made 5$ :D
i run, therefore im buff.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”