Help: Can only jump 8'6

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

James J.
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 8'6

Help: Can only jump 8'6

Unread postby James J. » Wed May 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Yo,

I'm a sophomore and my pr is 8'6. I use a 13 foot 150 pole and the season just ended. I'm looking to get about 10+ next season and I need to know what to in the off season. The approach run is fine for me, its just when i get into the air I seem to do nothing right. My coach says I pull the pole into me when I'm suppose to keep them out straight and strong, is this true? Also, I dont do the turn yet, is their an easy way to learn it or is it just a matter of time? Also, when I hold high on my pole I dont go as high as when I hold lower this no bend, why is this? When i do hold high, I never seem to go foward, i just fall in the pit. I'm running fast enough its just something in the air. anyone have any tips? Thanks, i really need this.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Help: Can only jump 8'6

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:59 am

I'd like you to try to answer one of your questions yourself... Why might the pole bend and not go as fast if you hold higher?

As for your other questions... I suggest spending most of the off-season working on... your RUN and PLANT! :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

gvvault
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12ft

Unread postby gvvault » Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 pm

James J. wrote:Yo,

I'm a sophomore and my pr is 8'6. I use a 13 foot 150 pole and the season just ended. I'm looking to get about 10+ next season and I need to know what to in the off season. The approach run is fine for me, its just when i get into the air I seem to do nothing right. My coach says I pull the pole into me when I'm suppose to keep them out straight and strong, is this true? Also, I dont do the turn yet, is their an easy way to learn it or is it just a matter of time? Also, when I hold high on my pole I dont go as high as when I hold lower this no bend, why is this? When i do hold high, I never seem to go foward, i just fall in the pit. I'm running fast enough its just something in the air. anyone have any tips? Thanks, i really need this.

Ok, the best way to get better over the summer, is to do A LOT of stiff pole vaulting. Find a pole that won't bend AT ALL from a 1,2, and 3 step. Do jumps from those steps emphasizing high hands, good leg position, and staying behind the pole. Improving your take-off would DRASTICALLY, improve your PR, especially for an 8'6" vaulter.

James J. wrote:...The approach run is fine for me, its just when i get into the air I seem to do nothing right.

I know you want to focus on the stuff in the air, because that seems like it'll be the most effective, but that isn't where you need to focus on now! The reason you can't swing to inversion and come of the pole is because of your plant! In pole vaulting, everything is sequential, if your run isn't good, your take-off isn't good, if your take-off isn't good, your swing isn't good, etc. You get the point.

James J. wrote:....My coach says I pull the pole into me when I'm suppose to keep them out straight and strong, is this true

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but I think you're talking about your hands. Your coach is right in saying that you shouldn't pull on the pull at all until you're inverted and your TOP arm should be straight and strong (right hand if you're jumping righty). Your bottom hand SHOULDN'T be "straight and strong".

On the note of turning, that's something that's kind of hard to learn. Some vaulters get it naturally, while some have to practice it. The best way to learn it is to set a low bungee and just try to swing and turn at the top of your vault.

Good Luck!

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue May 26, 2009 6:22 am

James J. wrote:Yo,

James, consider this:

When you plant and takeoff, which direction does the pole move?

... Now, what happens to that direction when you pull against the pull? You're trying to get the pole in a vertical position, and if you're coach says your pulling the pole into you, he/she most likely is referring to when you jump you're trying to pull yourself up higher. And while the pole is trying to move forward (by pushing it) you pulling upward actually slows it down and brings it the other direction than intended. If you keep your top hand straight without pulling upward right away you'll notice how much smoother the pole moves forward into the pits.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 am

Your coach is right. Stay long and tall once you are in the air. You probably pull because you panic when the pole stops moving forward. That also explains why when you hold higher you fall into the pit- you dont keep the pole moving. This happens with a correct plant and take off and by attacking the take off with your hands moving up and forward. Do what your coach says and you will probably see results.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rbvaulter#1
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12-6
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby rbvaulter#1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:55 pm

If you do everything else correctly your turn will be very natural and you wont have to worry about it much. I have just learned the importance of straight pole stuff and I agree..straight pole AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”