Get inverted

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

jvt51091
PV Beginner

Get inverted

Unread postby jvt51091 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:05 pm

ok i noticed today that when i jump i swing up and im like folded in half and dont fully extend what drills are there so that i fully extand myself

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: Get inverted

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:25 pm

WOAH...

Alright, try searching for 'inversion drill swing high bar'. That should give you a good start... If not, try playing around with keywords. There've got to be at least 3 dozen threads on this exact topic already... Once you find them, ask any questions you've got. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Get inverted

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:43 am

If you just type "high bar" you won't get any results because those words are too common. When I post, I join those 2 words into one, so a search for "highbar" gives quite a few results. Also, substitute the words "monkey bars" in place of "high bar". Notice the singular instead of the plural. Be sure to try each variation, because the search function is rather particular about precise spelling. i.e. "bars" and "bar" provide 2 distinct result sets.

Speaking of monkey bars, I'll be replying to Sooch soon about his question re high bar drills.

Jvt, remember that as a beginner, you're not likely to vault higher than your grip. So your thoughts of needing to "fully extend" might be a little too ambitious for right now. So maybe you don't need to research the keyword "inversion". But you still need to practice your swing on something other than just the pole.

After you search for various combinations of "high bar", "highbar", "monkey bars", "swing", "drill", and "drills", tell us your PR and your grip, and we'll advise you from there.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”