When should I get bend

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

unionmultiman
PV Newbie

When should I get bend

Unread postby unionmultiman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 pm

I ma very new to vaulting and I first began to get bend yesterday at practice. My teammate said that i was getting the bedn a long time after I left the ground and he said I should be getting bend a lot sooner. I have good speed in that I am a low 11 second 100 meter guy and I am using a 13'6'' 175 pole and I weigh around 177 so the bend shouldn't be a problem. So the question is when should the pole first begin to bend?

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Have you mastered straight poling first? The bend usually starts when you leave the ground, but when you are first starting to vault, it might not. Its more important to try to do things the same way you do with a straight pole, on a bending pole. Keep both your hands high and push UP not IN at take off, and you will probably feel a little bend. You might try to find a smaller pole and hold lower to know how it feels. Try it without swinging a few times, keeping your hands above your head. The pole has no choice but to bend. Just dont learn to rely on the bend, jump up into the pit the same way you do with a stiff pole. I hope that answers your question a little bit: YES but do it the right way ;).
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:27 am

a lot of times people that get a bend really late are because they are still kind of straight poleing but after they leave the ground they just kinda squish the pole because they are a little big for it.

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:09 am

Where are you holding on the pole? If at the top, then you probably need a longer pole because you are over jumping your grip. If you are a a low 11 100m guy you have potential to jump pretty high.
Chris Milton

unionmultiman
PV Newbie

Unread postby unionmultiman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 am

I ma holding almost all the way back on the pole. I have only been vaulting since late January so I have been straight poleing up until the other day. My teammate said that you should get bedn before u takeoff. I run hard and when i plant i push the pole up with my hands and try to get lift from my plant foot to help get me moving up. I think my potential to vault high is very good. The standards were all the way to the bottom and the tops were a little over 10 feet high and i was looking down on them. I guess the main question is should i be getting bend before I takeoff?

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:03 am

unionmultiman wrote:I guess the main question is should i be getting bend before I takeoff?

The answer is NO.

unionmultiman
PV Newbie

Unread postby unionmultiman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:13 am

Ok thanks. I didn't think I was suppose to but my teammate kept talking like the plant alone should create the bend.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:40 pm

The forward momentum of your top hand, created by an accelerating and upward-springing takeoff, compresses the pole (shortens the length between the tip and the top hand by bending the pole).

This should not begin until the takeoff foot leaves the runway.

unionmultiman
PV Newbie

Unread postby unionmultiman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Thanks again. Also I am curious about our poles. This is the first year we have had pole vault and we only could afford two poles. We have to store them in a locker room underneath the gym and it gets really hot in there sometimes. The thing is the poles have a slight bend in them in one direction even when lying on the ground. also if u stick the pole in the plant box and try to bend it, it is impossible to bend wiht the bent part down. and if it does try to bend it spins around. But if you put the bent out part up then it will bend. Is there something wrong with the poles?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:20 pm

unionmultiman wrote:Thanks again. Also I am curious about our poles. This is the first year we have had pole vault and we only could afford two poles. We have to store them in a locker room underneath the gym and it gets really hot in there sometimes. The thing is the poles have a slight bend in them in one direction even when lying on the ground. also if u stick the pole in the plant box and try to bend it, it is impossible to bend wiht the bent part down. and if it does try to bend it spins around. But if you put the bent out part up then it will bend. Is there something wrong with the poles?

Nope, that is how they are supposed to be :) They are only supposed to bend one direction.

All poles have a prebend which is what you describe. The prebend should be the same way the pole actually bends, which I think is what you are describing.

When storing your poles, ideally you want them flat. If you have to store them suspended from rafters or something, make sure the prebend is down.

AR01
PV Whiz

Unread postby AR01 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:21 pm

There's nothing wrong with the poles. I beleive its called a pre-bend...all poles are made that way with that natural bend to them. It shows you which side the soft side is (you always want to plant with the soft side away from you). I take it your using a Pacer or a Skypole judging by the size? If that's the case have the Pacer or Skypole sticker facing away from you when you jump, which, like you said, is the easier side to bend.

unionmultiman
PV Newbie

Unread postby unionmultiman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:34 pm

Ok....Thanks and yes we use skypoles. I was jsut a little worried because I hadnt seen any other poles like that at meets but I don't think I have seen any other skypoles at any college meets so I guess thats y.

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”