Tommy SKipper

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

RoySloppy
PV Pro

Tommy SKipper

Unread postby RoySloppy » Tue May 20, 2003 4:11 pm

i was looking on dyestat and i found a list of college choices and this is what i found :
Tommy Skipper OR - 17-3.75 PV Nike Indoor champ - Oregon
Dan Deichert NJ - NJ 3200m champ 2002 - Penn State
Alex Clayton CO - CO 4A champ XC, 800, 1600 - Iowa State
Matt Munoz TX - 3rd TX AAA 3200m - Texas
Mark Teter TX - 46.15 400m TX 5A champ - Baylor
Chris Catton MI - MI XC champ - Wake Forest
Janine Ricci PA - PA indoor mile champ - Virginia
Cassie Gullickson TN - 43' TJ, 5-10 HJ - Notre Dame
i thought he signed with a community college, did he change his mind or something?
VA for Life!!

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue May 20, 2003 5:01 pm

No, he never actually signed a letter of intent to go to Clackamas. He apparently gave an oral committment to go to Oregon this week. Theres a story in the Oregonian about it. http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... 192310.xml

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue May 20, 2003 5:51 pm

Anybody know what meets Skipper is going to be in for the remainder of the season? Adidas Outdoor Championships?
i think before my days are done.

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue May 20, 2003 7:17 pm

He'll probably be competing in PV and/or Javelin at he Washington-Oregon Meet of Champions.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue May 20, 2003 7:26 pm

If and when do you all think he will break the high school record? He might have to jump in to the late summer if he wants to break or come close to it. I would be suprised if he gets back up to 17'+ before Oregon state meet. it will be intresting.

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue May 20, 2003 8:11 pm

Basically I think he has to jump 14'6 at districts (today?) to make state. He can do that from about 4 lefts I think. Depends on how his wrist is doing. If it isn't fully healed yet he won't chance it. I bet all he needs is a week or two of practice before hes ready to jump 16'-17'.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 20, 2003 9:41 pm

OAKPV2004 wrote:If and when do you all think he will break the high school record? He might have to jump in to the late summer if he wants to break or come close to it. I would be suprised if he gets back up to 17'+ before Oregon state meet. it will be intresting.

It all depends on how his wrist is feeling... and how quickly he can get back into top form.

zack

Unread postby zack » Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 pm

Just got this off the oregonlive forum.
"Skipper (Sandy) - PV: missed twice at his opening height of 14'0 before getting a huge clearance. Moved the bar to 16'0 and did not clear. 10.87/21.97 leads qualifying in 100m/200m. LJ - 21'7."
Kind of strange to not see him throwing the javelin but glad to see him
back in action.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed May 21, 2003 5:29 pm

zack wrote:Just got this off the oregonlive forum.
"Skipper (Sandy) - PV: missed twice at his opening height of 14'0 before getting a huge clearance. Moved the bar to 16'0 and did not clear. 10.87/21.97 leads qualifying in 100m/200m. LJ - 21'7."
Kind of strange to not see him throwing the javelin but glad to see him
back in action.

So he did not make it to state, he had to get 14'6" right? or is he going?

zack

Unread postby zack » Wed May 21, 2003 5:43 pm

Ok I looked up qualifying for the Oregon State meet. The athlete either has to place top two in the district meet or hit the state qualifying standard (14'6) at the district meet. So because he won (2nd was 12'6) he will go to state.

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Wed May 21, 2003 8:17 pm

I was reading some stuff on www.dyestat.com about skipper. He apparently broke 2 poles on his first 2 attemps at 14' (not misses by the rules.) sounds like it won't be long before he jumps high again.

vaultfan

Tommy Skipper Returns

Unread postby vaultfan » Thu May 22, 2003 11:17 am

Skipper's return is quite a story!! For everyone's convenience, here's the DyeStat article:

Tommy Skipper returns
- and breaks two more poles!

The Sandy OR senior was last seen at a pole vault pit March 16 in Landover MD at the Nike Indoor Championships (left) when he broke a pole trying for the national indoor record. The snap of the pole broke his left thumb, apparently ending his season goal of breaking the national outdoor record (18-2.25 by Eric Eshbach in 1999). But 9 weeks later, with the pin just removed from his thumb, Skipper was on the runway Tuesday 5/20 at the Mount Hood Conference district meet, a qualifier for the Oregon state meet later this month. Starting at a "safe" 14 feet, Skipper was on the brink of no heighting when he broke poles on his first two attempts. Then he soared high over the bar on his third try. Although missing at 16 feet, he was safely qualified for the state meet.
Skipper has not been idle while recuperating from his injury. He has state ranking marks in the 100, 200, long jump, discus, and javelin. His pole vault coach, Rick Baggett, thinks the layoff may actually help Skipper by developing more speed on the runway while long jumping. He can compete in post season meets through July 31 and still count as a high school athlete.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”