Wade Henderson Article (CO)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Wade Henderson Article (CO)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 23, 2005 7:57 pm

http://www.journal-advocate.com/Stories ... 04,00.html

Henderson wins state title

By DAN NIED, Journal-Advocate Sports Reporter

AURORA - It wasn't easy in practice, but at least he had done it before.
This was the Class 4A state meet and the bar for the boys pole vault was set at 14-feet-6 as Wade Henderson eyed it up.

Both Henderson and teammate Jake Alexander had cleared that height in the comfort of team workouts - but never in competition.

So Henderson stood at the end of the straightaway with his pole in hand and eyed the bar at Legacy Stadium at Cherokee Trail High School Saturday, with the sun, and a state title in his eyes.

The competition had narrowed its way down to four vaulters - Henderson, Alexander, Christopher Kraak of Greeley West and Sam Pierson of Pueblo South - who each wanted the same thing.

Henderson started his trot down the runway, slammed the pole into the pit and cleared the bar that was twice the height of Andre the Giant.

A short time later, that turned out to be a state title vault.
Dan Nied/Journal-Advocate
Wade Henderson (right) has a talk with his father and coach, Randy Henderson, before attempting the state title-winning pole vault at 14-feet-6 inches. Henderson was Sterling's only state title winner.

As a sophomore, Henderson won the only state title for Sterling. While no other competitor was able to clear 14-6, Henderson came back for more. With his championship in hand, Henderson attempted 15-feet to break the Sterling High School record.

While he failed on those attempts, everyone associated with the Tiger track team - from head coach Dan Torres to pole vault coach Randy Henderson (Wade's father) to Dennis Fuller, who set the record of 14-feet-7 3/4 in 1977 - had a feeling the record would fall before Henderson graduates in 2007.

"I know it is going," said Fuller, who was at the meet as a consultant for the Tigers. "This guy is just a sophomore."

Someone was going to do it

Despite the title, Henderson was a bit stoic afterwards. Coming into the state meet the favorite was Alexander, the senior who had pushed Henderson all season. Alexander ended up third, vaulting 14-feet, but could not hit 14-6.

"I was kind of sad because I wanted one of the older guys to win it," Henderson said. "I wouldn't be here without Jake. I will miss him next year."

While Henderson began out-vaulting Alexander late in the year, the two, along with teammate and fellow state-meat qualifier David Becker, pushed each other all season and jockeyed for points in every meet.

Fuller, who went on to vault over 18-feet at the University of Colorado, was shocked that Henderson was able to edge Alexander for first.

"I wanted Jake to get it this year," he said. "I was sure he would."

Before the meet Torres figured one of his vaulters might have a shot at the state title. He just wasn't sure which one.

"I was not too surprised because they had been going that high," he said. "Wade had beaten Jake before, so beating Jake did not surprise me. I just thought at state Jake would just rise to the occasion and take it."

But it was Henderson who emerged as a state champion and the future of Sterling track. He was one of only three vaulters in the state to hit 14-6 in the championship meet. Two 5A vaulters accomplished the height as well. No one went higher.

When Henderson saw the 5A competition end on a height he had cleared in practice, he started having visions of gold.

"I was watching the 5A vaulters (Friday) and I realized that there was a slim chance I could win today," he said.

Slim? Maybe so. But whether it was an upset or not, Henderson positioned himself to enter Sterling lore by going some place few sophomores ever dare.

tigervaulter727
PV Whiz

Unread postby tigervaulter727 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:17 am

:D

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”