Whats the deal with Tommy?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

Should Tommy stay with HS coach Rick Bagget at a JC or go to a First Class Division I institution?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:14 am

Yes, Stay with Baggett
31%
No, Go D-I
69%

Total votes: 13

vaulter19
PV Newbie

Whats the deal with Tommy?

Unread postby vaulter19 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:14 am

Anyone know what the deal with little ol' Tommy is? Would Mr. Bags really hold him back from attending a D-I institution and instead send him to a JC so that he can milk the fame of this incredible athelete has provided him even more? Anyway, what's gained for Tommy out of going JC? Sure he stays with his old coach, but he's also gonna have even less competition than he had in high school! I'm sure that no matter what D-I school he went to he would become an NCAA All American if not Champion within his first year, and its not like his choices are limited. But to sum it all up...i don't know about anyone else, but it blows my mind to even think that Tommy is considering not attending a first class D-I instituition. Please post thoughts.

zack

Unread postby zack » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:36 am

I don't know how he can pass up the opportunity to go to any DI school he wants. Maybe he just feels like Rick is the best coach for him and has confidence in his ability to help him improve. He can still get just as much competition for most of the season too.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Whats the deal with Tommy?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:12 am

vaulter19 wrote:Anyone know what the deal with little ol' Tommy is? Would Mr. Bags really hold him back from attending a D-I institution and instead send him to a JC so that he can milk the fame of this incredible athelete has provided him even more? Anyway, what's gained for Tommy out of going JC? Sure he stays with his old coach, but he's also gonna have even less competition than he had in high school! I'm sure that no matter what D-I school he went to he would become an NCAA All American if not Champion within his first year, and its not like his choices are limited. But to sum it all up...i don't know about anyone else, but it blows my mind to even think that Tommy is considering not attending a first class D-I instituition. Please post thoughts.

It is not an issue of Rick holding Tommy back... next year he will offer Tommy the chance to train in an elite environment. By next year Rick's indoor facility will be done being built. Matt Phillips is already training down there, and if things go according to plan, Dave Lemen and Becky Holliday will be down there as well next year.

It's not about Tommy competing for Clackamas, we all know he could win the JC championships from 3 or 4 lefts. This would give him the chance to focus and train for the big meets like USA Nationals, without having to kill himself all winter trying to make qualifiers for indoor nationals, and then go outdoors and hit a qualifier, then jump well at Conference, Regionals, NCAAs...

No decision has been set in stone yet (as far as I know anyway). The opportunity to get a college eductaion, and be an NCAA All-American and such is a tough thing to give up. Hopefully Tommy and his family will make the best decision for him. It is their decision, not Rick's, so don't go blaming him if you do not agree with it.

baggettpv
PV Master

Tommy and the NCAA

Unread postby baggettpv » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:40 pm

To all,
I am not trying to keep Tommy Skipper with me at the JC. I am supporting any decision he makes as to his college of choice. I am also trying to give him the insight into those colleges so that he can make the right choice for himself. I did that for David Lemen (Georgia) , Brian Rohr (Alabama), Becky Holliday(Oregon) and Dasha Wakefield (SO. Alabama) (scholarship athletes at the D1 level). Let's not forget Garth Willard (UW), Ron Johnson (UW), Mark Vanderville (UO) and Pat Licari (WSU) who had successfull NCAA careers. Tommy will be there if Tommy wants to be and I will support him all they way.

Rick Baggett

baggettpv
PV Master

Tommy and coaching

Unread postby baggettpv » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:14 am

Well at least the original post spelled my name right. When I was awarded the National JC Womens Coach of the Year (and she hasn't jumped that high since or as often) they spelled my name Baggatt. Arggggg

Have some fun, lifes too short,

Rick BaggEtt

dubjones
PV Nerd

Unread postby dubjones » Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:33 pm

I think Clackamas might be a good decision for Tommy. He will be close to home, and get to make an easy transition into college with his family, coach, and friends there to help him. Also, given that Tommy is an athlete that can score in many events a big school might not be an advantage. Clackamas would allow him to focus on the pole vault, and other events of his choice, without the added pressure of trying to have him compete in every event on the track in every scored meet.
One big drawback in my view is that if he goes to clackamas he might break my NWACC records.
I would love to see him at Arkansas State, with the big boys, but I think Clackamas is a good decision for him. He has to go with what he trusts, right now that seems to be Rick.
Just as a side question: Don't you think Rick has had SOMETHING to do with tommy's success thus far?
Dub

vaulter19
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaulter19 » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:56 pm

Of course much of Tommy's success can be contributed to Baggett, as can the success of every athlete be contributed to their coach. I don't mean to attack Rick, he's proved that he is a great coach through many atheletes over the years. However, there are just two things that I cannot comprehend. First, my years 5 years of vaulting in college were undoubtudly the greatest, most fun, best years of my life. Neither high school nor post collegiate vaulting held anything against my experiences in college. Not just the track, but the friendships, the good times, the partying, and even the challenge of the academics all are unlike anything i ever had or ever will experience again. I would give my left nut to be back there for just one day :crying: . Secondly, there is very little money in pole vaulting. Tommy has the chance to attend the finest univerisities in America where he could guarentee a successful future even without pole vaulting. While I am sure Tommy could take his vaulting very far in life (possibly even over 6m someday), what would he do after that? There is so little money in vaulting that i'm sure even Hartwig is going to have to get a job after retirement from vaulting. Hell, Derek Miles is top 5 in the world and right now he has a full time job! But i'm sorry if i offended anyone, I really didn't mean it. I'm just very very confused....

dubjones
PV Nerd

Unread postby dubjones » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:42 pm

Yeah, Derek has a full time job, and he is one of my bosses. Just because Tommy goes to a JC dosen't mean he can't continue on to another school. In my opinion a JC is a good decision for most people. You can leave after 2 years with a degree, then continue on to a 4 year program. I wish that all universities offered a 2 year degree for all students participating in a 4 year program. A sort of Mid mark, (associates degree) on the way to a bachelors degree. I found Clackamas to be a great expierence that helped to bridge the gap between High School and College. I would not have made it through my bachelors without that step, and Rick. I will complete my masters at the end of this semester and the coaches and people at Clackamas were a key part in my academic and physical development. Had I been thrown into a lecture hall with 100 students in my freshman year to "fend for myself" I don't think I would have made it through. As a below average HS student the personal attention I recieved in Junior College helped me to "calm down" and become a student/athlete, which helped motivate me to post graduate work. I was accepted to some of the larger D-I schools and chose Clackamas, maybe for the same reasons Tommy is considering this option.

vaulter19
PV Newbie

Unread postby vaulter19 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:41 am

Just a side note (or question).....when is tommy gonna open his season?

baggettpv
PV Master

Tom's Openner

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:47 am

To all,
It looks like Tom Skippers opening comp. will be at the UW this Sat for the Last Chance Meet they are holding. Other jumpers will include the best from the NW from what I understand.
Tom has been training from a 6 left approach getting some work done on his takeoff angle. Trying to increase is by about 3 degrees. Based on his development over the last 5 years if he can accomplish this task then he should be able to hold around 16' 3" on a 5 mtr. 14.0 flex. He has jumped 32" over grip and with the increase in grip should be able to go 36" - 40" over.
His speed is better than last year, strength is moving into the dynamic phase and he has just reovered from the flu...Easily over 17' in practice from a 6 left appraoch (in the gym at Clackamas). We will see how the little guy does on Sat. He will still be on 4.90 poles too.

Rick Baggett
WSTC

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”