Moriah Roberge leaving her mark (OR)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Moriah Roberge leaving her mark (OR)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon May 25, 2009 4:54 pm

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... /story.csp

Roberge leaving her mark
The Marshfield senior defends her title with the highest clearance in state meet history
BY ANDREW GREIF
For The Register-Guard
Posted to Web: Saturday, May 23, 2009 09:18PM
Appeared in print: Sunday, May 24, 2009, page C8

Sports: Home: Story
Hours before Summit’s Kellie Schueler cemented herself as one of the state’s best sprinters in history and her team as one of the most dominant in recent memory, Marshfield’s Moriah Roberge stole the show of the OSAA Class 5A girls track and field championships.

The San Diego State University-bound senior pole vaulter from Marshfield defended her state title while recording the second-highest vault in state history with a clearance of 12 feet, 9½ inches.

She missed all three attempts at 13-1, which would have broken the all-time state record set by Sarah Sasaki of North Clackamas Christian of 13-0, set in 1999. The height qualifies her for the U.S. Junior Championships at Hayward Field in June, and is an all-classification state meet record.

“I would have been a little upset if I had only made 12 (feet); 12-6 I would have been happy with; and 12-9 I was really excited,” Roberge said. “Monday and Wednesday I had really good practices, so I was ready.”

The win brings her family’s title count to four in the event, with sisters Celina and Muriel winning in 2002 and 2005, respectively, under the tutelage of Stan Solomon, who coached at Marshfield for 44 years before dying last January. Dave Eckes and Stuart Woods, whose sons Greg Eckes and Trevor Woods each won state pole vault titles for Marshfield, took over pole vault coaching duties this season.

“There’s no doubt,” said Eckes, who pointed to the sky to reference Solomon. “He’s been laughing at us all year, in a good way.”

And despite the Pirates’ success in the event — Amber Wiley won in 2007, also — Roberge becomes the school’s first repeat champion.

baggettpv
PV Master

Re: Moriah Roberge leaving her mark (OR)

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue May 26, 2009 12:33 am

Extreme congratulations to the Marshfield Pole Vault Crew!! Mariah has a bright future at San Diego and all my well wishes to her for continued success. Stan was a great coach and really hard to beat. I feel with the needed support from the administration and other coaches, the tradition will continue bringing success to all the kids that decide they want to be "Pole Vaulters"!

We really missed the Master roaming the sidelines!

Rick Baggett
WSTC
Good coaching is good teaching.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”