Stan Solomon (OR) honored in Reno

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Stan Solomon (OR) honored in Reno

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:07 pm

http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/20 ... 699763.txt

Solomon recognized for helping others vault to success
By John Gunther, Sports Editor
Saturday, January 10, 2009

Stan Solomon poses Tuesday with a plaque he received for being named national high school pole vault coach of the year. World Photo by Alex Powers.
Buy this photo© 2009 The World Link.

Stan Solomon has seen eight of his pupils reach the top platform at the state track and field meet during the past 10 years.

Marshfield’s standout pole vault coach finally got his own due last weekend, when he was named National HighSchool Pole Vault Coach of the year by the USA Track &Field Pole Vault Development Committee at the annual Pole Vault Summit in Reno, Nev.

“I was very surprised,” Solomon said of the honor. “These are things I never dreamed of ever happening to me.”

Solomon has coached track and field at Marshfield High School for 44 years and 48 years in all in the Coos Bay School District. He was head coach for 25 years and has been most renowned for his work with the pole vaulters the past three decades.

Just in the past 10 years, state champion pole vaulters for Marshfield have included Trevor Woods (twice), Andrew Simpson, Greg Eckes, Amber Wiley and sisters Celina, Muriel and Moriah Roberge.

In addition, two other students who worked with Solomon — Robby Fegles of Reedsport and Casey Cagley of Myrtle Point — have been state champions, while numerous others have placed well, including runners-up Beth Castro of Bandon and Sammie Clark of North Bend.

Marshfield’s Joe Bailey, another pupil of Solomon, was state champion in 1982.

Many of Solomon’s former athletes were at the Pole Vault Summit last weekend, some to compete and others to be with him when he received the award.

“There were 33 or 34 people from the South Coast,” Solomon said, mentioning past athletes and their parents, as well as former Marshfield track coach John Johnson and close friend Chuck Crandall.

Fran Worthen, who coached the Pirates for several seasons before stepping down last year, said the award recognizes Solomon’s work across all levels of the sport, not just with high schoolers.

“I’m so excited about this award,” said Worthen, who considers Solomon a mentor. “They noted his development of athletes from youth levels all the way through to those who have gone on to the collegiate level and beyond.

“I thought it was a real neat honor for him.”

Through the Prefontaine Track Club, Solomon has worked with pole vaulters from many South Coast communities, while also providing clinics for athletes and coaches.

“I think he’s just done the right things,” Worthen said.

Solomon has earned a lifetime of honors dating to his high school days in Hawaii. He was a two-time All-American in football for Willamette University and is in that school’s hall of fame. He also is in Marshfield’s hall of fame.

During his acceptance speech at the Pole Vault Summit, Solomon said, “Nothing will ever top being named the national coach of the year.”

That this honor comes from his peers makes its special, he said.

“There are a lot of good coaches down at the summit,” Solomon said.

Marshfield athletic director Greg Mulkey said Solomon was a worthy recipient.

“There isn’t anyone, I don’t think, in the United States who is more deserving than Stan Solomon for what he’s done and what he’s produced,” Mulkey said. “I think this award was a long time coming.”

Attendance at the summit was down this year about 20 percent from last year, when 2,200 people attended.

Still, 11 pole vault pits were being used at the same time for various competitions.

“It was quite a sight to see,” Solomon said.

He brought a number of students, including Moriah Roberge, who cleared 11 feet, 8 inches, and Clark, who cleared 8-3. Reedsport freshman Lindsey Wright got over the bar at 8-10 — just off her personal best of 9 feet.

Fegles, who now vaults for Lane Community College, had a lifetime best of 16-1.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Re: Stan Solomon (OR) honored in Reno

Unread postby master » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Congratulations Stan.
I couldn't be happier for you. It is an honor you have earned for all your quality work with vaulters and coaches. Great job! :yes:

- master

baggettpv
PV Master

Unread postby baggettpv » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:59 pm

I am honored to be able to cal this man my Friend!

Rick Baggett
Good coaching is good teaching.

73-vaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Fan, Parent, High School Coach

Unread postby 73-vaulter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:13 pm

It says something for the state of Pole Vault in Oregon; if a few years ago the National Jr. College coach of the year, Rick Baggett, and now the High School coach of the year, Stan, are both from Oregon and both are Vault coaches. It could not have come to two more deserving people. These are who I would entrust with the guidance of my children. Thank you both for your friendship.

Mark Ellingson

Lucysolo
PV Newbie

Unread postby Lucysolo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Congratulations Big Brother! I watched your video getting the award in Reno and I cried each time. That's my brother! I said. Though we don't see each other that often, you are still in my thoughts. I am inspired by your accomplishments in sports and specifically in Pole Vault. Mom was always so proud of you and would be today too. With all my love, Lucy

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”