Mike Arnold reaching new heights in the pole vault (NV)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Mike Arnold reaching new heights in the pole vault (NV)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:28 pm

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/200 ... /612487381

Arnold reaching new heights in the pole vault

Click to Enlarge
Amy Lisenbe/Nevada Appeal
Carson City High School pole vaulter Mike Arnold clears the bar during track practice Monday.

Charles Whisnand
Appeal Sports Editor, cwhisnand@nevadaappeal.com
April 1, 2008, 4:01 AM

Mike Arnold has soared past the 15 foot barrier for Carson High and has been teetering on joining just several other high school pole vaulters in state history to clear 16 feet.

He expects to clear that barrier this weekend. And he believes by the end of the season he can go after the state record of 17-0 set by Reno High's Cameron Kroll.

Arnold had another impressive performance this past weekend when he set the meet record at the Las Vegas Track Classic, competing against all of Southern Nevada's top vaulters.

He won the meet at 15-0 and was named the state's Vaulter of the Week. He almost cleared 16-0 as well. The bar came off after he left the pit area.

Click to Enlarge

Amy Lisenbe/Nevada Appeal
Mike Arnold Carson City High School pole vaulter, senior

Browse and Buy Nevada Appeal Photos "I had it cleared but the bar teetered on the standard and fell off," Arnold said. "I hit it with my shirt on the way over."

Arnold expects to be able to clear 16-0 this weekend at the Rocklin (Calif.) Invitational. "I can definitely see that coming this weekend, even 16-6," he said.

If the conditions are favorable this weekend, Arnold should have an excellent shot at clearing 16-0. In unfavorable conditions at practice on Monday, Arnold was able to clear 15-0, impressive considering he was vaulting into about a 15-20 mile an hour head wind.

Arnold's breakthrough meet came earlier this year in Sacramento. He cleared 14-0 on his first try and then it took him three tries to clear his personal best of 14-6, using a 15-0 pole in competition for the first time.

He then cleared 15-0 on his second try and 15-3 on his third try. He then set his personal best of 15-6 using a 15-1.80 pole on his second try.

After all those attempts, he just didn't have the leg strength to break the school record of 15-10. But he nearly set the school record as he almost cleared 15-11 on his first two attempts.

At Las Vegas, Arnold decided to go straight from 15-0 to 16-0. He credits much of his success to Carson High pole vault coach Kevin Ply and Galena High pole vault coach Paul Heglar, who is one of Northern Nevada's top pole vault coaches.

Arnold worked out with Heglard during the summer. "They help me tremendously," he said.

He has set his goal to break the state record at about the time of the state meet. "I'm hoping to break the state record this year either before state or at state," Arnold said.

In addition, Arnold has the lofty goal of going to the 2012 Olympics. Arnold needs to reach the standard of 18-6 to make it to the Olympic Trials qualifying standard.

He has received a half scholarship offer from Idaho State and Eastern Washington has also shown interest.

"I'm hoping it will go up," said Arnold about Idaho State's offer. Idaho State will decide what it will offer Arnold by the end of the season.

Arnold also takes a great sense of pride in using UCS Spirit poles made in Carson City. Virtually all of the world's top pole vaulters use UCS Spirit poles.

"I prefer their poles over any other by a long shot," Arnold said. "They're a great help. They're super good to me."

The biggest keys to his success this year, Arnold said, is that he's healthy,eating right and just working hard.

"I've just been basically training hard and staying healthy," he said. "Just repitition. repitition is the biggest thing."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:23 pm

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/200 ... /269700813

Arnold clears 16 feet in the pole vault

Click to Enlarge
Mike Arnold Carson City High School pole vaulter, senior Amy Lisenbe/Nevada Appeal

Browse and Buy Nevada Appeal Photos

Appeal Staff Report
April 6, 2008, 4:01 AM

Comments Print Email

Mike Arnold was hoping to make his history making effort on Saturday and he did it. Arnold became one of only a handful of high school pole vaulters in Nevada history to clear 16 feet and broke the school record in the process at the Thunder Invitational in Rocklin, Calif.

Arnold won the event to lead a sold day for the Carson High boys and girls track teams. Despite not having two of its top performers - Kayla Sanchez and Gloria Sosa - the CHS girls were able to finish third in the 24-team event.

Reno High won the meet with 94 points while Manogue edged out Carson for second 59.5-58. Along with Arnold, other Senators who turned in outstanding efforts included Christy Works, Julianne King and Jenny Mital.

When Arnold cleared 16-0, he also broke the school record of 15-10. As of mid-week last week, Arnold's 16-0 clearance would rank sixth in the nation.

Arnold and two Rocklin vaulters cleared 15-0 and then Arnold won the meet when he was able to clear 15-6. He went on to clear 16-0 before bowing out after not being able to clear 16-3.

"Absolutely amazing," said Arnold about how he felt when he cleared 16-0. "It was a big relief. I was hoping it wasn't another repeat of Vegas."

At the Las Vegas Invitational last week, Arnold thought he had cleard 16-0, but the bar fell off after he left the pit area.

"I was super stoked when I broke the school record," he said. "I was really happy I could do it today."

Arnold will compete in two high profile meets in the next two weeks in Southern California where he should have the chance to impress numerous college coaches. He'll compete at Arcadia next weekend and then the following weekend at the Mt. SAC Relays.

The ultimate goal for Arnold is to become the second high school athlete ever to clear 17-0, joining Reno's Cameron Kroll.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”