Coos Bay Street Vault 8/25/07 Coos Bay, OR

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Coos Bay Street Vault 8/25/07 Coos Bay, OR

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:40 pm

The Coos Bay street vault is this weekend! Anyone going?

http://www.polevaultpower.com/streetvau ... oosbay.pdf

pv161
PV Nerd
Expertise: high school/club coach, masters vaulter, former college vaulter, usatf official
Lifetime Best: 4.91

Coos Bay street vault

Unread postby pv161 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:08 am

At least 4 of us from raising the bar pv club are going. went last year, very well done event. Stan does a great job. raisingthebarpv.com

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 am

I'm planning to join pv161, vaultwest and some of the others this Saturday in Coos Bay. We had a good practice today at South Eugene HS and everyone is pumped. Should be fun.

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:50 am

http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/20 ... 775594.txt

Top vaulters to take to the street Saturday

By Staff Reports
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

Pole vaulters will take to the street again in downtown Coos Bay on Saturday for the second-annual Coos Bay Street Vault.

The competition will take place during the annual Blackberry Arts Festival and include competitions for men and women in youth, open and masters divisions.

The event starts at 10 a.m. on Fourth Street near its intersection with Commercial Avenue.

Advertisement

People expected to compete include several state and national age-group champions, as well as some of the top masters vaulters in the world. The entry fee is $20 per competitor and the athletes also must bring their own poles.

Local girls in the competition include Marshfield student Moriah Roberge, who finished second at the Class 5A state meet and won the Junior Olympics state title, and 15-year-old Sammie Clark of North Bend, who was second in the Class 4A state meet. Roberge has a career-best mark of 11 feet, 9 inches, while Clark has cleared 10-3. Greg Eckes, a 17-year-old Marshfield student who finished second at state and has a career best of 15-6 also will compete.

Other youths who have entered the meet include Newport’s Austin Ouderkirk, a four-time national champion and three-time state champion with a career best of 16 feet; John Ellingson, a 17-year-old Silverton student who has cleared 15-6; and 17-year-old Lindsay Beard of South Eugene, who has a best of 12-6.

Among the older competitors are 61-year-old John Altendorf of Corvallis, who has the indoor/outdoor world record for his age group at 13-11⁄2 and was the 2007 Age Group Masters Athlete of the Year; and Dan West of Eugene, a 52-year-old vaulter who was the 2005 indoor national champion in the 50-54 division and won a bronze medal at the 2002 Nike World Games in the 45-49 age group. West’s recent best is 12-9. Dennis Phillips, a 62-year-old vaulter who is Altendorf’s main rival, also is expected to compete.

The event is sponsored by the Pre Vault Club.

Pole vault camp

The Pre Vault Club will follow the street vault with its first pole vault camp from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m. on Sunday at Pete Susick Stadium on the Marshfield campus.

Camp Director Stan Solomon, who has coached eight pole vault state champions and numerous other state placers, will put the vaulters through all of the Pirates’ vault drills.

The camp has a $20 registration fee for athletes, while coaches can participate for free. Vaulters should bring their own poles.

For more information, those interested can call Solomon at 267-7114.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:29 pm

It would seem a good time was had by all. The temperature was perfect although the wind was a bit swirly. The crowd was enthusiastic and Stan and Fran and their crew put on a great street vault. They even had enough pre-event publicity there was some TV coverage which made the night's news in Medford, Oregon on KOBI TV 5. After you go to the link, start the video (tolerate the commercial then scroll to about 2:10 in the video).

**EDIT** Apparently KOBI TV doesn't keep the video available, so here is a replacement.

They picked a strange old geezer to talk to. ;) pv161 and vaultwest are seen in the video also (but not vaulting unfortunately).

- master

(Becca, a few of us were kind of hoping you would show up, but alas! :( )
Last edited by master on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pv161
PV Nerd
Expertise: high school/club coach, masters vaulter, former college vaulter, usatf official
Lifetime Best: 4.91

street vault

Unread postby pv161 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:32 am

John, how much did it cost you to to get all the air time? ;) as usual you jumped very well as did vaultwest. I just wish I could say the same for myself :( maybe next year. Thanks to Stan and his crew for another great event

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:30 am

master wrote:(Becca, a few of us were kind of hoping you would show up, but alas! :( )

I was hosting a huge garage sale fundraiser for Club Northwest.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:02 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I was hosting a huge garage sale fundraiser for Club Northwest.

Good for you. I hope it went well and you made a lot for the club. :yes:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:44 am

http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/20 ... 153632.txt

Masters vaulter matches record in street event

By Staff reports
Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:04 PM PDT

John Altendorf, 61, of Corvallis, pole vaulted 13 feet Saturday during the Blackberry Arts Festival in downtown Coos Bay. Altendorf is the indoor/outdoor Masters world record holder and 2007 athlete of the year. World Photo by Madeline Steege.
Just two days before an arson fire destroyed Marshfield High School’s pole vault pits, the sport took center stage in downtown Coos Bay during the Blackberry Arts Festival.

The second-annual Coos Bay Street Vault drew 21 competitors ranging in age from 10 to over 60.

The most-impressive mark came from John Altendorf of Corvallis. Competing in the 60- to 64-year-old age group, Altendorf cleared 13 feet, matching his best in the age group.

Advertisement

The 61-year-old Altendorf is the world record holder for his age group both indoors and outdoors.

He set the indoors record on Feb. 11, when he cleared 12-113⁄4 at a meet in Washington.

John Ellingson of the Willamette Striders had the best overall height Saturday, clearing 16 feet to win the 17-18 age group.

Pre Track Club members Greg Eckes (14 feet), Robby Fegles (13-6) and Justin Kirk (12-6) finished fourth through sixth in the division.

Among the girls, Moriah Roberge of the Pre Track Club won the 15-16 age group by clearing 11-6, beating Kelsy Hintz, from Del Norte High School in Crescent City, Calif., based on fewer misses.

Lindsey Beard, a state champion from South Eugene who competes for Raising the Bar Vault Club, also cleared 11-6 to win the 17-18 age group.

Pre Track Club members Sammie Clark (10-6) and Beth Castro (9-0) were third and fourth in the 15-16 age group.

Gabrielle Bryant (10-year-olds), Lindsey Wright (13-14) and David Eckes (12-year-olds) all won their divisions while competing unopposed.

The event was organized by Stan Solomon of the Prefontaine Track Club and sanctioned by USA Track & Field.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 pm

Is this meet happening again this year?

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”