Armstrong is 1A pole vault champion (NM)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Armstrong is 1A pole vault champion (NM)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:18 am

http://www.dchieftain.com/sports/71194-05-09-07.html

Armstrong is 1A pole vault champion

Local athletes excel at track and field state championships

Nat Holland El Defensor Chieftain Reporter

The 1A/2A track and field state championships started overcast and chilly on Saturday, but things ended bright for local athletes.

The Magdalena boys and Quemado girls teams both earned11th place finishes. The Magdalena girls team and Alamo boys and girls teams all earned points in the competition at the University of New Mexico's Track and Field Complex.

KC Armstrong became the 1A pole vault state champion with a successful 12-foot attempt that easily cleared the pole. Armstrong is Magdalena's first state champion in track and field in the three years. The next most recent state champion was his sister Kelly Armstrong, who was the top girls vaulter in 2004.

After being successful at 12 feet and guaranteed the championship spot, Armstrong unsuccessfully attempted a 13-foot jump to break his personal record of 12 feet, 6 inches. His first attempt at 13 feet was nearly successful.

"I almost had it the first time," he said. "I tried a heavier pole the second time and it didn't work, and just messed up the last time."

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”