High School Q&A: Daniel Gooris, Cibola track and field (

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

High School Q&A: Daniel Gooris, Cibola track and field (

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:20 am

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/may/03 ... and-field/

High School Q&A: Daniel Gooris, Cibola track and field

By James Staley (Contact)
Thursday, May 3, 2007

For the first two weeks of his pole vaulting career, Daniel Gooris didn't get off the ground.

His coach wouldn't let him.

Now, nobody in the state has risen higher. Gooris likely will enter the state tournament as the favorite in the event. No other vaulter has come within 9 inches of his vault of 15 feet, 5 inches earlier this season.

Gooris, a junior who transferred from Gallup before this season, has also qualified for state in four other events.

This afternoon and Saturday Gooris will compete in the District 1-5A championships at Rio Rancho.

Trib: Do you have a superstition?

Gooris: Not really. I like to wear certain socks. They're like biking socks. They have little symbols on them. I started wearing them when I was 9, because my friends and I ran track for this club and the place we bought shoes had these socks.

Trib: What kinds of cross training do you do?

Gooris: A lot of speed drills. I try to work on that all the time. I've gone to speed camps. I do powerlifting and stuff like that.

Trib: Have you ever snapped a pole?

Gooris: I have not. They last until you snap them; some of the ones we have are like 30 years old. They work fine.

Trib: Tell me what goes through your mind from the time you first start preparing to jump to the time you land in the pit.

Gooris: Get a big plant. Once I jump off the ground, I have to get as far back as possible. I just visualize what I need to do and how I do it. I do two warm-up laps (before jumping) and stretch. I don't usually listen to music. I just have fun talking in the back of the line. That's how I deal with stress. I try to stay relaxed, but focused.

Trib: What was your favorite toy as a kid?

Gooris: This little dump truck my parents got me. I had to have been 6. I used to hold it with both hands and roll it. I think I got in running shape with that.

Trib: Still have it?

Gooris: Yeah, I believe it's up in (my family's) land up in Cuba.

Trib: What is your breakfast of champions?

Gooris: When I do eat breakfast it's at (teammate Brent Jorgensen's) house. It's usually French toast.

Trib: Got a nickname?

Gooris: Some people started calling me Big D.

Trib: What would you rather watch: the NBA playoffs, "American Idol" or "Grey's Anatomy"?

Gooris: The NBA playoffs, for sure. I don't really have time to pay attention to it. I have practice and homework. But that's what it would be.

Trib: Fill in the blank: I wish . . . would just go away.

Gooris: The wind. It was really bad (Tuesday). It's really irritating. It makes it hard to get off the ground.

Trib: What was your dream job as a kid?

Gooris: A firefighter or a pilot flying in the military.

Trib: Dream job now?

Gooris: Being able to run track for a career.

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”