Skipper to NAIA??????

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:34 pm

In school at Oregon?
On a whole new level 6-20-09

RxVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby RxVaulter » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:38 pm

Lon, I'm glad you cleared that up for all of us...Just want skipper to land in the best possible situation given his options. A-State would have been great for him, sorry it didnt work out...

Rx

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:40 pm

I never said it didn't work out!!!! That is still up in the air!!!??? Actually, last I heard is that he was still coming to Jonesboro, I just made the decision that I will not coach him. I just believe in an 18 year old going to school. LB

RxVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby RxVaulter » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:00 am

all im saying is that i'd be shocked if earl had more than a passing interest in this kid. I'd be very careful to put my impeccable reputation in the hands of an 18-3 "phenom" when i have gold in my backyard.

Rx

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:06 am

I think a good coach doesnt care about reputation, if someone had the right attitude and wanted to work hard I think most coaches would take them! You never know what will happen, he might be an Eshbach or a Hartwig who knows?

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:07 am

I don't remember mentioning Earl's name either. Earl and I are on the same page with this one. I do agree about the putting your reputation on an 18 3 phenom, who is bound to figure out that this sport is hard and that you don't just get better by just coming out to practice the next year and your instantly better because you grew.

Tommy is a great kid, I sat and talked with him extensively in California last week. I do doubt he goes to an NAIA. There are a lot of people trying to impose there thoughts and wills on him, and a lot trying to lead him in a bad direction for there own gains. I rather sit back and watch this one play out.

Lon

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:18 am

Thats exactly what he needs, I think a coach who understands you cant get better by just coming to practice! To me thats why most phenoms burn out. Im a rookie but Joe Dial, Pat Manson, Greg Duplantis, Dale Jenkins etc. had excellant habits and developed sound fundementals, and worked thyre way up correctly. I think Richards, Eshbach, etc. no disrespect where overmature and didnt have to develop these fundementals to jump high but to keep going up levels you need to maybe go backwards and not try to jump 19 everyday in practice! And if you know this I hope you have a good influence on him!

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:42 am

ahahahaha Thats great I can go to bed after having a great laugh. Thanks
run high and hold fast

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:42 am

I agree with Lon that Tommy has no clue what is going to happen next year, despite what he may tell newspaper reporters now. Everyone wants an answer now, so he gave them one, but he still has a lot of decisions to make in the next few months.

swtvault
PV Pro
Expertise: Part time semi elite vaulter--5.35 season best in 2009
Lifetime Best: 5.52

Unread postby swtvault » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:31 pm

I am gonna quote Barto (I think he said this) on the topic.

Dupe, Dial, Manson, and Jenkins, will all tell you its a long way from 18 feet to 19.
Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties.

Stockdale Paradox

lonpvh
PV Pro

Unread postby lonpvh » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:18 pm

Well, from what I heard today is that he is gonna stay home. Who knows, the problem is no one talks to him personally. Whatever, lets just see what happens. LB

RxVaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby RxVaulter » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:13 pm

SWT...
While i give great props to Barto, I must also say it's short way from 18 to no-heighting. We all know the psychological burden of jumping. I'd rather bet on a guy who's stepped-up when the competition has been fierce than some kid who's never really (yet) had to battle failure...

Rx

Return to “West and Northwest and Canyon Regions”