Need coaching (MO)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

Bee
PV Beginner

Need coaching (MO)

Unread postby Bee » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:20 am

Our high school does not believe in practicing until spring during track, we need someplace to practice now. We are in Missouri and we have to travel 4 hours to practice which means during the week is out. Any suggestions???? :crying:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:01 pm

Where in Missouri are you?

vballcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby vballcoach » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:28 pm

My daughter's HS Vault Coach currently has her weight training & running. He might even recommend that she practice with the Gymnastics Team in December.

The indoor & outdoor track season is about 5 months long and we'll trying to prevent an early "burn-out" from vaulting for such a long period of time. By the end of the National Junior Olympics in July, she was ready for the off season.
Hey, my daughter vaults...I just watch.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:25 pm

By the end of the National Junior Olympics in July, she was ready for the off season.

Does she do any vaulting in the off-season? 5 months isn't much time to learn to vault, especially if she's competing the whole time.

Bee
PV Beginner

Unread postby Bee » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:28 pm

We are in Springfield Mo. my son is a Freshman, he is currently running and weight training but he would like to work with the pole but our school says no. How do we convience them that this is just as important as football and basketball? He also wrestles and we had to make them notice this sport as well. Tired of having to prove ourselves!!!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:00 pm

Bee wrote:We are in Springfield Mo. my son is a Freshman, he is currently running and weight training but he would like to work with the pole but our school says no. How do we convience them that this is just as important as football and basketball? He also wrestles and we had to make them notice this sport as well. Tired of having to prove ourselves!!!!

It has nothing to do with convincing them the pole vault is important. I would imagine Missouri High School Association rules prohibit them from allowing him to use the school's poles or pits until the season starts.

Bee
PV Beginner

Unread postby Bee » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:17 pm

The school said that they would allow us to use the pit area with our equipment as long as we have a paid vault coach from the school with us, and we have a coach but not employed with the school. I asked if the people that use the tennis courts have a paid tennis coach with them (no). One coach in particular (high school track coach) said he did not want any of our kids practicing vaulting until the season starts to be fair to the other schools. Isn't this the whole idea with practicing to be better than the other schools?

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:23 pm

Thats how it is in CA. You cant jump with your own coach anywhere. You can always try a neighbor school, and start a club there.
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:25 pm

Different states have different rules but most have what is called dead periods. During a dead period for any given sport you cannot do specific training only wheights and conditioning. After the dead period you can have skill developement sessions with limited number of athletes.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:52 pm

thats ridiculous... start up a club and do it behind their backs. You dont need a schools permission for a club. On top of that, if you start a club you could probably pay a nominal fee to use their facilities for "club" use.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “North and Central Regions”