Who knew Bruce could coach?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Who knew Bruce could coach?

Unread postby vaultdad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Yesterday the Motley Crew Vault Club hosted its newest member . . . Bruce Caldwell !

Due to Bruce being in town for a meeting/conference in downtown Saint Louis MO we were able to kidnap him and spirit him away to our secret lair in Crystal City Underground to take him on a tour of the facility and invite him to do a meet-n-greet and guest coach during our practice session. We had his undivided attention because cell phones don't work inside a cave. ;)

After meeting everyone Bruce gave a "history lesson" on the histroy of vaulting and pole manufacturing like he was a Professor of Applied Mechanical Engineering and after a few minutes everyone was engaged in asking questions. All in all it was pretty interesting and young vaulters hardly ever get to meet the person who builds the equipment they use. We also got to see a new prototype pole, and I wondered how he was going to get that in the carry-on for the trip back to TX.

After the Q&A the group warmed up and Bruce put on his coaching cap and I think he really enjoyed the interaction with the kids. Our group is comprised of athletes from 13 - 30 and he came up with good advice for all of them. At one point, one of our girls was upset because he wasn't correcting her more and she somehow felt a little left out! :P

All in all, I think everyone learned something useful to help them jump higher and Bruce is pretty fun to watch as well. When one of our kids would switch poles or handgrips without telling Bruce he immediately zoned in on it and amazed them with his sharp eyesight and attention to detail. Hopefully Bruce had some fun too and he's certainly welcome back anytime. If what I saw yesterday wasn't a great representation of being involved at the "grassroots" level then I don't know what is.

And yes Bruce, I have the photos as proof. I just need to get them resized so I can send them to you. Thanks for coming! Vaultdad
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Re: Who knew Bruce could coach?

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:31 am

The facilities were awesome! Most of the vaulters had good foundation skills already from the motley crew coaching!
Everyone was willing to take direction and I saw a lot of potential in the whole group. If I did not give much attention to one she seemed to being doing real well and I focused on the ones with the most problems.
Seeing the vast CAVE and the room they have to build more runways was exciting!
I plan on coming back!
In August, they have a big exhibition scheduled with two potential Olympians. Daniel Ryland and Paul Litchfield!

It sounds like an event not to miss especially if you live in the Missouri and ill. area.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce Caldwell on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCVC
PV Beginner
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby MCVC » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:17 am

We just wanted to say thank you again. The kids really enjoyed you coming out and working with them. They keep asking if you can come out again. It was an experience they won't forget. Now that we have them vaulting on the Power X poles, it's really made a difference. Essx continues to put out not only the best pole, but the right pole...period.

Information for the cave vault can be found on our website: www.motleycrewvaultclub.com

Daniel and Paul will also be having a camp the two days prior to the vault, but space is limited, so if anyone wants to be apart of the underground camp, they should send me an email ASAP (kangaroo_crew@yahoo.com) as it is filling fast.

Thanks,
MCVC

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Thanks

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:21 am

Thank you here are a few select photos I liked.
I will see if I can attend the Aug Meet it sounds like fun!
Bruce

DSC_3026B.jpg
DSC_3026B.jpg (23.08 KiB) Viewed 21180 times

DSC_3046b.jpg
DSC_3046b.jpg (27.12 KiB) Viewed 21180 times

DSC_3041b.jpg
DSC_3041b.jpg (27.36 KiB) Viewed 21180 times

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 pm

I like the name of your club. I may have to move the headquarters of No Blow Athletics there.

Return to “North and Central Regions”