Total amateur in Mpls wondering how to start pole vaulting

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

anmattson
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Total amateur in Mpls wondering how to start pole vaulting

Unread postby anmattson » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:08 pm

I just got inspired to pole vault because of some feel-good documentary that talked about being able to accomplish and achieve things with the power of thought. A little clip in it had a pole vaulter and it occurred to me that that is pretty much the most hilarious and perfect example of physical achievement. You know, like, who can jump the highest.

Then I thought that if this documentary (called The Secret) is really true, then all I have to do is send out the thought frequency of wanting to pole vault enough, I will do eventually be able to do it. Obviously the first step is coming to a forum like this. Then it's figuring out where and how to practice. Then it's practicing. Even though I have never been very athletic in my life, I still think that I could do this if I tried.

A little background: I'm Anders Mattson, a 24 year old man living in Minneapolis, MN. I work at a coffeeshop during the day and play music at night. I'm in a local band called Bouncer Fighter and I have a solo project called Anders Ponders. I'm releasing my first album in November and I'm really very thrilled about it. I already feel like I've achieved something great with the power of just wanting it enough. Because I am such an artistic type, I think it would be totally hilarious and awesome if I could tell people that I pole vault and blow them away by showing them.

It's just an idea: for now. What I need now is someone to make it more than that and to help me on my way to my goal. How do I start?

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Total amateur in Mpls wondering how to start pole vaulting

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:32 pm

I think I watched that a couple years ago. You can see a brief review of it here: http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=48138. On this page, click on "The Secret Documentary" to read the brief review. There's probably better links than this one that maybe someone can share.

1. All pole vaulters believe in the Power of Positive Thinking. So all pole vaulters will benefit from watching this documentary ... to reinforce what they already "know".

2. A very, very small percentage of people that believe in the Power of Positive Thinking can pole vault. It takes MUCH more than just watching an inspiring vid ... and then picking up a pole and going over a bar! LOL! :)

3. There's a LITTLE more to it than just "sending out a thought frequency of wanting to PV badly enough". LOL! :)

4. Pole vaulting is very rewarding ... and can "hook" you if you train hard and become good at it. But that's the catch ... you can't just pick up a pole and expect to go over a bar on your first day of practice! LOL! :)

5. You mentioned that you work in a coffeshop during the day, and play in a band at night. I don't want to discourage you from trying to PV, but it takes TIME ... lots of TIME to learn how to PV properly. I would venture to say that if you think you can do it with a single practice per week ... for a couple hours ... then you're probably not going to get the "high" that you're striving for.

I think it would be totally hilarious and awesome if I could tell people that I pole vault and blow them away by showing them.

I don't know about it being "hilarious" (it is FUN tho), but PV is definitely AWESOME!!! However, don't do it to impress other people. Do it to prove something to yourself. In PV, your biggest competitor is YOURSELF ... you must conquer FEAR, LAZYNESS, and a lot of other things to succeed. You must become the master over your body. When you learn how to control the actions of your body, good things happen. This gives you a sense of accomplishment and POWER! I can't explain it much better than that.

That said ... GO FOR IT! Who knows ... you might "catch the bug" and starting clearing bars that you never dreamed you could clear! Actually, that segways into my last point ...

6. PV is you against the bar. Don't worry about how high everyone else is jumping. The biggest enjoyment that you'll get out of pole vaulting is improving your PR ... week by week ... and year by year. No matter how high you vault ... if you "catch the bug" you'll want to vault higher and higher ... and you'll train harder and harder to do this.

Welcome to the wonderful world of POLE VAULTING!!!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:41 pm

Ok for starters there is a pole vault club about 30min from you in wyoming. G-Force Vault club.

http://www.myspace.com/mikesoulewyomingmn

That would be the first place to start. Because you are going to need a place to jump, a coach, and poles. Most clubs have poles people can use, so you do not have to go buy your own (around $400 each).

From what I see this place requires you to be a member of USATF (for insurance purpases)

http://www.usatf.org/membership/?sc=FI

Then he is going to have dues of like $20 a month, which is farely cheep compared to most pole vault places (I payed 30 a week in high school).

Your next step is to read every thread on pole vault power.... just kidding (if you want to then go ahead though).

Your main steps for becoming a new vaulter are to try to learn to run propperly. And just be in as good of shape as possiable. Youtube is your best friend!

Have you ever done any sports?

What is your Height and Weight?

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey there!
There are actually 3 pole vault clubs in the Twin Cities area. Flight Deck Athletics http://www.flightdeckathletics.com/ is located in the Robbinsdale area (west suburbs) and Fuzion Athletics http://www.fuzionathletics.com/ is in the South East suburbs (Eagan). And mine G-Force is up north in Wyoming, MN. Fuzion would probably be your best choice if you wanted to start now or this winter actually jumping. They feature an indoor facility and they work extensively during the winter. As you know we are having crappy weather so this week's G-Force session probably won't happen (mine is an outdoor facility). We probably will go this coming Thursday though and if you'd like to check it out send me a personal message and I'll give you the particulars. Later........Mike

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:17 pm

I recommend Fuzion Athletics :)

anmattson
PV Newbie

Unread postby anmattson » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:11 am

Kirk,

Thanks for your response. I can only say that yes, I realize that pole vaulting is challenging. I feel like training for pole vaulting might be one of those things in my life that changes me from a schlub to someone that has true self-confidence. Isn't that what pole vaulting seems to be about? Saying that you did this and that it was impressive. Why did I have to know the world record holder when I registered for this forum?

This is kind of the idea of the feel-good documentary. If I could make this happen, what would this mean for my life and everyone around me?

anmattson
PV Newbie

Unread postby anmattson » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:26 am

VaultPurple,

I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs. I look like a thin man that has become a Buddha baby over time. I did gymnastics as a child and dance as a teenager and have always been way more flexible than most people. These days I'll work out occasionally but mostly it's just sit-ups and push-ups, Yoga and cardio. This is why I'm excited about getting my body to go like liquid over a bar.

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:27 am

That is pretty much the decient build of a pole vaulter. Most 5'8 vaulters are around that weight. And a gymnastics/dance background shows good body awareness. So I think you could have fun with it and probably be able to pick up the basics fast. Its just everyone is diffrent and you will never know till you try. So just have fun!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 am

anmattson wrote:Why did I have to know the world record holder when I registered for this forum?

It's a custom question that has proven very effective in eliminating spam-bot registrations.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:I recommend Fuzion Athletics :)

As do I. :yes:

Return to “North and Central Regions”