2009 Pole Vault Explosion - St Charles, MO July 4

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

2009 Pole Vault Explosion - St Charles, MO July 4

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 pm

http://www.polevaultexplosion.com/

The Pole Vault Explosion (PVX) is an energetic, day long event where vaulters can showcase their talent in front of hundreds of cheering fans. The event takes place at the St. Charles Riverfest, in Historic St. Charles along the beautiful Missouri River.

For athletes, it's an opportunity to compete and meet other pole vaulters. For spectators, it's just plain fun to watch. Bring your family and friends and make a day out of it! In addition to the PVX competition, there will be live music, delicious food, amusement rides and a spectacular fireworks display.

PVX has drawn accomplished athletes ranging from high school to elite levels. Athletes like Jeff Hartwig, former American Record Holder and Kellie Suttle, 2000 & 2004 Olympian, have competed in the event. For the 5th Annual event, the PVX is expected to draw more vaulters and spectators than ever before.

Explore our website to find information about the Riverfest, PVX sponsors, event registration and more. Save some money by registering early!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: 2009 Pole Vault Explosion - St Charles, MO July 4

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:23 pm

I think these are some photos from this event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoseaeye/ ... 946601336/

vault-official
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Coach, Club Coach, Certified PV Official
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Unread postby vault-official » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:41 pm

The PVX is currently the featured pictures at http://www.semosportsweb.com/. Just for all those who are curious. Only 19 pics are posted. There will be another site soon that has pics from the other explosions as well.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:15 pm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:19 am

http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/ar ... sion00.txt

Getting up for their event
Wet conditions can't put a damper on fifth annual Pole Vault Explosion

ShareThis
Buzz up!vote now

Steve Wadley photo Pete Broeder comes down over the bar in the Men's Group I competition during the Pole Vault Explosion in St. Charles.

By Scott Fitzgerald
Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:18 AM CDT

Like a mail carrier on his or her appointed round, not much can keep a pole vaulter on the ground.

An overcast, drizzly morning that led to very muddy conditions sure didn't deter them Saturday afternoon at the St. Charles Riverfront, site of the fifth annual Pole Vault Explosion. Former Lindenwood vaulter and organizer Mark Aschen, more than 70 athletes, including some of the nation's top vaulters, and a large group of supporters weren't about to let the weather rain on their parade.

"Safety is one of our top priorities," said Aschen, a 2006 Lindenwood graduate who studied finance. "But as soon as we realized it was just a regular rain, and lighting was not a factor, everything was green lights all the way."

With a pair of wood runways side by side right along Riverside Drive, just off the banks of the Missouri River, the vaulters jumped to a good-sized crowd of pole vault enthusiasts and curious onlookers, most of whom wandered over from the nearby St. Charles Riverfest.

The event, sponsored by Edward Jones, 20 Minutes to Fitness and the city of St. Charles, brought out nationally-ranked vaulters as well as local ones, a few who just competed in the state meet in May.

Photo Galleries | Prep Sports Photos

Included were Rockwood Summit graduate and current University of Missouri-Rolla pole vaulter Daniel Hellweg, Lindbergh jumper and current Washington University decathlete Ben Harmon, and recent Lutheran South graduate Dean Odegard.

Several vaulters showed up to test their ability. Included in the group were two-time defending Missouri Class 4 champion and recent Summit graduate Bethany Buell, and Affton High senior Rachel Elder, the state runner-up in the Class 3 competition.

Hellweg, 20, competed at the Explosion for the third straight year. He said he enjoys the laidback atmosphere.

"There's a lot of easy-going people and it is pretty good competition," he said. "There's a little want-to-get-better, but it's a lot of fun, too."

Hellweg, a math and science major, cleared 17 feet this past year. He's come a long way since finishing sixth in the state meet as a senior at Summit.

"I sprained my ankle as a freshman," Hellweg said, "but I came back, PR'd this year, and went to nationals. After college, if I'm good enough, I'd like to go pro. There is sponsorship money out there."

Both Hellweg and Buell, the top non-professional woman who cleared 12 feet on Saturday, excelled under the tutelage of Summit girls track coach Chris Moore.

"Chris arrived my freshman year," Hellweg said. "He's been a gift from God for pole vaulters at Summit."

Moore also has had a huge impact on Buell, who checked in with her coach for advice after every jump. She ended up clearing 12 feet, just two inches short of her state record 12-2, before heavier rains forced a delay in the competition.

Harmon, 20, a junior, has found his niche in the decathlon. During his freshman season, Harmon finished fourth in the decathlon at the NCAA Division III championships at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. Last May, he again did well, placing fourth in the competition at Marietta (Ohio) College.

Harmon has come to the Explosion several times and said it is a blast. He especially liked watching Toby Stevenson, the 2004 Olympic Silver medalist, who finished second overall with a vault of 17 feet.

"I like coming here and watching the elite guys jump," said Harmon, whose best vault is 15-3. "It's a neat place to hang out. All the pole vaulters have a pretty neat relationship. Everyone wants everyone else to do well."

Harmon fought through several injuries while at Lindbergh, and medaled in the high jump his senior season. But upon arriving to Washington U., he was drawn to the decathlon, which includes five events - 100 meters, long jump, shot put, high jump and 400 meters - on the first day, and five more - 110 hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin and 1,500 meters - on the second day.

For Harmon, the throws are the hardest part. His goal is to win the D-III national championship next year, then try and qualify for the 2012 Olympic games.

"If I could learn how to throw ... I think I could qualify," Harmon said.

It was also a good day for those who have yet to start college. Odegard, who has been accepted to Notre Dame University, plans to walk on to the track team there.

After clearing 14 feet in sectionals last May, Odegard couldn't duplicate it at the state meet, and failed to medal. But he didn't let that disappointment keep him away from his pole

"I'm so glad I got to go to state," he said. "Sometimes you end up going to something and it doesn't work out the way you want. You can either give up after that or say OK, nothing bad has happened to me, I'm going to do better and keep working at it.

"It really is a blessing to be able to pole vault. I'm glad I get to keep doing it."

As long as guys and gals want to do it, and people keep coming out to see them, Aschen will keep putting it on. Every year since its inception, the event also has raised money for a charity. On Saturday, a raffle raised almost $500 for the St. Charles Boys and Girls Club.

"Some people are into golf, and some are into fishing," said Aschen, who has a full-time job at Edward Jones. "Mine is pole vaulting.

"Even with the adversity of the weather, it was a huge success. The credit goes to all the volunteers and the people who came down to the fair. There's no doubt we will do it again."

Women's Group I

Erica Grajales-Esclusa9-6

Clare Buckman9-0

Kirstie Leslie8-3

Haleigh Ledbetter8-3

Amy Amsden8-3

Amanda Leung7-6

Eleanore Mann7-6

Men's Group I

Brady Melugin11-6

Andrew Mills11-6

Cole Phillips11-6

Pete Broeder11-0

John Musgrove10-6

Zachary Reed10-0

Brandon Shiao10-0

Stephen Estep8-6

Braden Duggan7-9

Justin Lewis7-9

Hunter Sanders6-9

Todd JohnsonNH

Men's Group II

John Turner13-0

Jordan Gagliano13-0

Jim Pitcher12-3

Mike Grinde12-3

Brian Butler12-3

Michael Yochum12-3

Ryan Bittick11-6

John Beagle11-6

John Shrewsbury11-6

Dick Kochert10-9

Connor Kellerstrass10-9

Austin KotchNH

Zach PitcherNH

Men's Group III

Ryan Rethy15-0

Ethan Sandusky15-0

Matt Willingham14-3

Kyle Morse14-3

Ryan Kotch14-3

Ben Pitcher14-3

Kemper Kellerstrass13-6

Matthew Codling13-6

Ben Harmon13-6

Dean Odegard13-6

Ryan Brinker13-6

Matt Deisher12-9

Raymond Woldtvedt12-9

Adam HobsonNH

Women's Group II

Bethany Buell12-0

McKinley Rea11-6

Michelle Lange11-0

Rachel Ederle11-0

Shelby Franklin10-6

Kirby Newcomb10-0

Men's Group IV

Peter Hollenbeck15-6

Daniel Hellwig15-0

Brian McGinty14-6

Alex Baldwin14-6

Michael SeamanNH

Samuel EwingNH

Jamie SteffenNH

The Elite Group was a combined field of both men and women.

Men and women competed for a total of over $4,000 in prize money.

There was a four-foot differential between the men and women's heights.

Elite Men & Women

1. Becky Holliday14-0

2. Jacob Pauli17-6

3. Toby Stevenson17-0

3. Katelin Rains13-0

5. Jeff Coover17-0

6. Daniel Ryland16-6

7. Brian Hancock16-6

8. Stephanie SimpkinsNH

8. Mark HollisNH

8. Chris SmithNH

8. Darren Neidermeyer NH