Denis Fraizer lifts Bishop Carroll (KS)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Denis Fraizer lifts Bishop Carroll (KS)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:50 am

http://www.kansas.com/266/story/743142.html

Vault coach lifts Bishop Carroll
Comments (0) Recommend (0)
BY TAYLOR ELDRIDGE
Wichita Eagle correspondent

On this particular day, with the sun shining down on a Bishop Carroll practice, pole vaulter Alyssa Northcutt can't figure out what is wrong.

She figures it is something little that is keeping her from clearing her desired height, but what, exactly, Northcutt doesn't know.

For the majority of pole vaulters at City League schools, the dilemma would remain unsolved. None of the other schools has a coach like Carroll pole vault coach Denis Fraizer .

After watching Northcutt jump one time, Fraizer is able to identify the problem and remind Northcutt adjustments to make.

"Put all the little things together and the big thing will happen," said Fraizer, who has been around the pole vault since his high school years. "You've got to concentrate on every little thing. You can't try to do it all at once."

The next attempt, Northcutt easily clears the bar.

"He really knows his stuff," Northcutt said. "He knows exactly what he's talking about."

Hard to argue after 10 years, as Fraizer has made Carroll's boys and girls pole vaulters a consistent threat to win state medals.

Most City League teams have to share coaches and resources for aspiring pole vaulters. Having Fraizer on staff has not only allowed pole vaulters to thrive, but also gives the Eagles a distinct advantage scoring points in meets.

"We always preach to our kids we are in a sprint-heavy league," boys track coach Cory Swords said. "So we look for events and areas that the City League kids aren't going to be attracted to or don't have the access to. That gives us an advantage."

The event requires several things, but there is one thing that is a pre-requisite.

"You have to be absolutely crazy," Northcutt said. "Who uses a pole to flip upside down?"

Northcutt and teammate Cara Detmer certainly do. Both finished in the top six at the Class 5A state meet last year, and both have their minor quibbles about their performance.

Northcutt, who also qualified for state in the javelin and the 400 relay, and Detmer know what they have to do to improve.

"There's a lot of trust," Fraizer said. "They have to be trustworthy to do what I tell them do and trust me that I'm not going to let them get hurt."

It's not hard to trust a friend, which is what most that have been coached by Fraizer consider him.

"He tries to connect with us," Detmer said. "He is like a friend and is really laid back. But he still helps us a lot whenever we need it."

Watching Fraizer tease his vaulters after a mistake or joke around with them after practice makes you almost forget Fraizer is the coach.

"I'm kind of like another kid out there," Fraizer said. "I still feel like I'm young."

But his coaching style seems to work.

Detmer is already clearing 12 feet in practice as a sophomore. Fraizer has been impressed with the potential of several others.

"With Denis coaching, we'll have some vaulters for a while," girls coach Ran Nielsen said.

Return to “North and Central Regions”