Dan Novak soars in pole vault (WI)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Dan Novak soars in pole vault (WI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:47 pm

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/p ... /804170701

Prep Focus: DCE's Novak soars in pole vault
By Matt Blanchette
Wausau Daily Herald
mblanchett@wdhprint.com

WESTON -- D.C. Everest senior pole vaulter Dan Novak remembers his jump in the Wisconsin Valley Conference indoor meet last year in Stevens Point.

During his jump he let go of his top hand, and nose dived hard into the back of the mat, reminding him he was not Superman.

Most other times, the distinction is difficult to find.

Novak is a record setter. Seemingly every time he sets up to leap in the air, another record is set to fall.

He already owns the school indoor record, and is not shy about telling people what's next.

"The outdoor record my brother had at 15-1, so I'm going to get that one this week," Novak said.

It may be because of his older brother Matt that Novak is now able to pass him.

"He was hanging around his brother since an early age, since elementary school," Everest coach Tim Strehlow said.

The Novak brothers still talk and discuss techniques and ways to succeed at their sport.

Meanwhile the younger Novak has done nothing but succeed. He placed second in Division 1 in the pole vault a year ago at the state meet, and has already surpassed the winning height this season.

"I'm hoping," Novak said about winning the state title. "We just have to get there first and jump decent, so we'll see."

Jump decent? Well, on most meet days, Novak opens up at a height that's higher than most can achieve and goes directly to a personal record height, usually 14 feet, eight or nine inches.

Despite the success, the well-spoken shaved-headed senior is still very much grounded in his abilities. He knows exactly where he is at, and exactly where he wants to go.

"We've talked about keeping it in perspective -- taking it in stride and not losing focus," Strehlow said. "And when I talked to him about that he responded positively. You can tell that he really understands what you're taking about."

Strehlow went on to say that he has not seen Novak become complacent.

One look at Novak's goals for the rest of the season shows why.

"The state meet is one (goal). To win it and break the state meet record. Also to hit the 16 foot mark," Novak said matter of factly, more telling you what he was going to do, rather than hoping.

If he continues towards these goals, who knows, he could be Superman.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:03 am

He has put up 15' 6" so far this season... and the weather in WI has been terible this year..

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Your telling me. We had to cancel the men's vault competition at our meet this past weekend due to 30-35 MPH cross winds
Man Up and Jump

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified

Unread postby Lax PV » Mon May 05, 2008 3:48 pm

I just heard through the grape vine that Dan jumped 15'7" and his teammate Dave Pergande popped a 15'5"...

can anyone verify this? We can't find any results.

Lax PV
PV Follower

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun May 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Lax PV wrote:I just heard through the grape vine that Dan jumped 15'7" and his teammate Dave Pergande popped a 15'5"...

can anyone verify this? We can't find any results.

...nevermind.

kmonty51
PV Fan

Unread postby kmonty51 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:13 pm

He jumped 15'8" at the State meet in LaCrosse today - new state record! I've watched him for two years now. He seems to have his head screwed on straight and is an outstanding HS vaulter.
"How old would ya be if ya didn't know how old ya was?" - Satchel Paige

wisvaulter17
PV Newbie

Unread postby wisvaulter17 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 pm

Dan did jump 15'8" but but Dan Pergande only did 13'6''.

Lax PV
PV Follower

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:27 pm

wisvaulter17 wrote:Dan did jump 15'8" but but Dan Pergande only did 13'6''.

Right. My post was from a bit ago... heard from a friend, who heard from some people in the area that they went 15'7" / 15'5" at some little meet a while back. That was obviously not the case.

Dave did jump 14'6" at some point in the outdoor season--which I think is the best duo in WI...I also think the only brother combo to come close to Matt and Dan was the Fruit Brothers from Hartland Arrowhead... back in the early '90s. Nicely done gentlemen.

...side note... D3's record was also set to 15'2", which broke the record of 15'1" that was set last year (not by the same guy). By far, the best year in WI HS pole vault in a long time, and as far as I can research and find, ever...not bad considering the weather that has been going on up here. :yes: :yes:

Return to “North and Central Regions”