Girl athletes finding pole vault uplifting (WI)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Girl athletes finding pole vault uplifting (WI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:09 am

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /804180648

Girl athletes finding pole vault uplifting
BY RICARDO ARGUELLO • POST-CRESCENT STAFF WRITER • APRIL 18, 2008

APPLETON — It takes one part sprinter and one part gymnast, with a little daredevil sprinkled in, to perform the pole vault.

The latter trait has perhaps most attracted Kaukauna's Maggie Dimpfl to the event.

"I was actually really excited to try and do it," Dimpfl said. "It was something new and fun and a little scary."

One of the top gymnasts in the area, Dimpfl began competing in the pole vault last season. Her best vault last season was 7 feet, 6 inches, and she finished in a tie for seventh in the pole vault with a leap of 7-0 at the Appleton West Terror Invite at Appleton North High School on Thursday.

Manitowoc's Allison Ewen and West Bend East's Kim Winkler tied for first in the event with vaults of 8-6.

Dimpfl, who admits to starting the season a bit slow, also feels that the event is also perfect for her given her gymnastics background.

But, yes, it is also kind of a thrill.

"The coaches were kind of pushing me because I already had the gymnastics experience," Dimpfl said. "There's definitely a lot you can relate to with gymnastics.

"But I've always been pushing myself to do scarier things."

The WIAA allowed girls to pole vault beginning in 2001. Interest was fair at first, according to Kaukauna assistant Bryan Gritt, and the overall performances have steadily improved.

The state record is 12-6 by Ashwaubenon's Liz Lewis in 2003. Lewis also finished first in the event's first year with a vault of 10-3 as a sophomore.

"It would be rare to see a 10-foot vaulter when it first started," Gritt said. "Now, every meet you have 10-foot vaulters and some 12-footers. It's really taken off."

To be successful, a vaulter must possess upper-body strength, speed and no fear of heights.

Gritt says the event is definitely not for everyone.

"A girl has to be a little bit fearless and not have a problem being upside down with the pole," Gritt said. "We've had some girls who have tried it and if they don't have that fearlessness, they don't get that far."

A big key to success is in the run, according to Dimpfl.

"I think a lot of it is in the run," she said. "You have to be real fast and get over that bar. You have to get the pole straight into the pit and then lifting my toes up to the (sky) so I can get over."

Proper technique is essential, Dimpfl says, and also helps in quelling any fears in going airborne.

"It actually isn't as scary as it looks," she said. "You start small and with your hands lower down on the pole. You can get used to getting into the pit. From there you slowly work yourself up."

Dimpfl also believes that the event will attract even more girls, which should also increase the competitiveness and overall talent.

"I think so," Dimpfl said. "I think the competition will get harder with more girls doing it, and they'll push each other to get better."

Return to “North and Central Regions”