Jessi LeChance setting bar for Nixa track squad (MO)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jessi LeChance setting bar for Nixa track squad (MO)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:18 pm

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 20386/1116

LeChance setting bar for Nixa track squad
Sophomore vaulter takes workload for Lady Eagles in stride.
T.J. BRICE • NEWS-LEADER • APRIL 2, 2008

It didn't take long for Jessi LeChance to get into mid-season form.

The sophomore pole vaulter cleared 9 feet, 6 inches in the first match of the season on March 25 at the Rogersville Relays.

LeChance's final mark was 2 feet higher than the closest competitor.

She wasn't as impressed with her mark as she was her team's performance, however.

"The first meet, we did pretty good," she said. "I think, as a team, the girls are going to be pretty good. We are going to compete this year."

LeChance started vaulting in the seventh grade. She credits her gymnastics background for helping her excel in the pole vault.

"I was a gymnast for about eight years," LeChance said. "That really helps with the body control."

While pole vault is her primary event, it isn't the only way she contributes points to the team.

"Pole vault is my No. 1 thing, but I like the short sprints a lot," she said.

She also competes in the 100 meters and runs a leg on the 400 relay team. During a meet at Branson on March 27, she also joined the 800 relay team.

"The 4x200, I'm filling in today," LeChance said before the competition. "Hopefully, the 4x100, I'll stay in."

During the meet at Branson, LeChance helped lead the Lady Eagles to a third-place finish in the 400 relay and a fourth-place effort in the 800 relay.

She also earned points for Nixa in the 100 with an eighth-place finish.

In the pole vault, she came up just short. She matched her previous high of 9-6, but Branson's Maggie Givens edged LeChance by clearing 10-0.

But LeChance knows there is a lot of time left to make a run at the state championships.

"It's early and we have a lot of work to do," she said. "I think we will get better as the year goes on."

Return to “North and Central Regions”