Athens' Drewek sets new D-3 mark in pole vault (WI)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Athens' Drewek sets new D-3 mark in pole vault (WI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:56 am

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/apps/p ... 20650/1602

State track: Athens' Drewek sets new D-3 mark in pole vault
By Jacey Zembal
Wausau Daily Herald
jzembal@wdhprint.com

LA CROSSE -- Daniel Drewek made Division 3 history Friday in the pole vault.

The Athens senior won his second straight state title at the WIAA State Track and Field Championships with a record-breaking vault of 15 feet, 1 inch, eclipsing the old mark of 15-0. Drewek relished hearing the public address announcer tag him as the defending Division 3 champion and new record holder.

Drewek won the state title last year with 14-0 and his personal record prior to the state meet was 14-9, which he did at sectionals.

"At the beginning of the meet, I was feeling so much pressure," Drewek said. "Division 3 this year in pole vaulting is just awesome. I was just so happy when I broke the record.

"Usually, I'm a mellow guy and usually go sit down when I'm done. I just went to my coach (John Zastrow) and gave him a big hug."

Drewek was thrilled he could not only defend his state title, but continue his steady improvement, which he contributed to a heavier pole. He'll be shooting for two more medals today in the 400 relay and 800 relay.

"Once I got to 14-6 and knew I was going to win, I was able to calm down and start going after the state record with the heavier pole," Drewek said. "This record has been my goal for a long time, maybe since my sophomore year."

A steady rain started during the Division 1 portion of meet, but conditions were near ideal for the pole vault during the afternoon.

"The wind shifted right when I was about to go behind my back and the conditions were just great," said Drewek, who practices the pole vault about once a week at Stratford High School because Athens doesn't have an official pole vault pit.

Drewek also took particular pride that four other pole vaulters from the Marawood Conference won medals.

Wausau Newman's Jack Szmanda finished third with 14-0, equaling his personal record, and teammate Arlen Fisher was sixth with 13-0 in Division 3. Marathon senior Pete Allmann finished sixth in Division 2 with 13-6.

It was the first state medals for Szmanda, Fisher and Allmann. Drewek and another senior finished ahead of Szmanda, a junior.

"This was a big accomplishment," Szmanda said. "I got a new pole today and just worked it out. It was great to win my first medal."

Fisher was part of five pole vaulters who qualified for state for the Cardinals between the boys and girls.

"I came down here hoping to get on the podium, so I accomplished my goal," Fisher said. "We always talk about how the Marawood Conference is on the top end of Division 3 conferences. The pole vault is another example of that."

Allmann was admittedly the longest long shot to win a medal among the four vaulters, but he improved his personal record by six inches. He came in tied for 10th in the seeding.

Allmann was excited to watch Drewek break the state record.

"I just think it is awesome and he is such a good vaulter," said Allmann, the son of Marathon boys coach Jim Allmann. "I wasn't really expecting to win a medal, but I thought I could do it."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:57 am

http://www.wyowtv34.com/Sports/index.php?ID=10279

Athens' Daniel Drewek Newsline Nine Athlete of the Week

Daniel Drewek clears the pole at last year's state meet where he was crowned the Division 3 Champion.
An Athens track and field athlete begins his quest to repeat as the division 3 state pole vault champ on the right foot. We honor Daniel Drewek as our newsline nine athlete of the week.

Last week at the Badger Classic Daniel Drewek captured the pole vault title at 13 feet 6 inches, then in his first time long jumping took second, and rounded out the day with a 4th place finish in the 55meter dash.

Daniel Drewek says, "I expected to win at least, but it's the first meet so you can't complain. It does a lot for confidence to win a big 15 school meet like that."

"It's a good starting point, you always expect them to kind of pick up where they left off, and I think he's right there," says Head Coach Cheryl Strunk So he has a very good start to build on."

The Athens senior's goal not only include a reapeat spot atop the state pole vault podium,
but also a place in state history.

"Of course my goal is to be state champion," sayd Drewek, "but my bigger goal is to get the state record."

Added Strunk, "He had a lot of goals he wanted to accomplish last year, which he did, and now he's just added on to them and I think it's given him that confidence that I can accomplish my goals, Ijust have to work hard at them."

While Drewek works hard to make sure his goals are reached, he also tries to use his success to show his teammates what it takes to get to the top.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 am

http://stevenspointjournal.com/apps/pbc ... rts&theme=

WIAA track: Athens' Drewek intends to stay on top
By Jacey Zembal
Wausau Daily Herald
jzembal@wdhprint.com

ATHENS -- If Daniel Drewek feels pressure, he does a great job of hiding it.

The Athens senior has been a marked man in the pole vault after winning the WIAA Division 3 state title last year with 14 feet, which followed his runner-up finish in 2005.

When you are on top, you can only go down, but Drewek has only hit his downward slope after cleanly going over the bar. Drewek wasn't without competition this spring.

With Wausau Newman's talented junior Jack Szmanda challenging him during the Marawood Conference season, Drewek responded by winning the conference title with 14-6, his personal record at the time.

With a state qualifying berth on the line last Thursday at the Plainfield Tri-County sectional, Drewek responded with a 14-9 in less than ideal weather conditions. His vault is the sixth best mark in the state, regardless of division.

Whatever challenge is in his way, Drewek calmly handles it with ease.

"There are a lot of good vaulters this year, so it won't be a walk in the park, that is for sure," Drewek said. "I just think how I want the state record this year. If I get anything less than first place, I won't be happy. I won't be satisfied with a second or third."

He enters the state meet as the No. 1 seed in the pole vault for Division 3, but that isn't all. Drewek and teammates Kyle Lange, Jonathan Payne and Alex Riehle have earned the No. 1 seed in both the 400 relay (44.86 seconds) and 800 relay (1:33.77).

"It has helped our relays a lot to get pushed by Wausau Newman and Edgar this year," Drewek said. "We were doing the 1,600 relay a lot too, so we could get in better shape for the 800 relay."

A perfect weekend would set Drewek apart in Athens track history, or at least match his older brother's achievements. Darren Drewek won the state title in the 200, was runner-up in the 100 and was part of a first-place 800 relay in the 2005 state meet.

"Daniel is definitely unique, and it is possible to have another one like him, but maybe not as good as him," Athens coach Cheryl Strunk said. "You never know what he is going through (internally) because he handles it so well. Does he show the pressure? No."

About the only aspect of pole vaulting that stressed out Drewek this spring was trying to find a heavier, bigger pole and selecting a college for next year. Drewek will likely attend the University of Wisconsin-Stout.

"I needed a bigger pole for regionals, sectionals and state," Drewek said. "I'm a lot faster and stronger than last year, so that will help me with a bigger pole."

"That is what was holding him back (a heavier pole) because his skill is there," Strunk said. "You have to have everything right to use the skill."

Because Athens doesn't have a pole vault pit, Drewek spends a day a week at Stratford High School. In the past, he used to practice at Spencer.

Being a vagabond pole vaulter doesn't usually lead to being a state champion, but he adapts to whatever situation is in his way, no matter what event he is in.

Drewek and Lange are the last links to the Bluejays' 2005 state championship team. Strunk is happy to be able to watch the seniors last chapter with Drewek in the pole vault, Lange in the high jump and the two relays, which feature three seniors.

"With Kyle Lange, I knew his sister Ashley, who ran with my daughters," Strunk said. "I knew him as a little kid. I coached Daniel's brothers, David and Darren. I've known his family a long time.

"The Dreweks will still come to the state meet because that is their vacation."

Return to “North and Central Regions”