Nebraska Street Vault Series

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

Aksarben Vaulter
PV Beginner

Nebraska Street Vault Series

Unread postby Aksarben Vaulter » Wed May 02, 2007 9:02 pm

Hey everyone!

There will be an entire series of Street Vaults in Nebraska this summer. Currently there are four of them on the schedule, with the possiblity of a fifth.

The dates, correponding celebration and locations are as follows:

June 16th
Grand Island Ethnic Festival
Grand Island, NE

June 23rd
A'ROR'N Days
Aurora, NE

July 14th
John C. Fremont Days
Fremont, NE

August 4th
Czech Days
Wilber, NE

All pretty low key affairs . . . basically a chance to go have fun in the summer and vault and "socialize" afterwards! lol

Smokin' fast runway and each site has a emergency indoor location in case of bad weather.

Just got the dates set and will have some flyers soon. I will post the link to them on here.

You can contact me at tjp007@hotmail.com if you have any questions. Make sure to type "street vault" in the subject line so the email doesn't go into my junk mail folder.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:45 pm

http://khastv.com/modules/news/article. ... ryid=10010

Ethnic Festival holds first ever poll vaulting exhibition

(6/16/2007) By Scott Abraham It has been well documented the tradition the city of Grand Island has when it comes to pole vaulting.

Several area standouts have left their respective high schools in Grand Island and performed quite well in the college ranks.

Saturday during the Ethnic festival those pole vaulting stars put on an exhibition in the streets of downtown Grand Island. Grand Island Central Catholic alums and current University of Nebraska stars Jenny Green and Gable Baldwin vaulted in their hometown for the first time since their high school days.

Over 30 competitors participated in the event and for Jenny and Gable they were excited to be back home.

“Oh it is awesome, I have not jumped in G-I in front of people for four years. It is great to have all your friends and family, past competitors and everything come out and jump together, said Pole Vaulter, GICC Alum, Gable Baldwin.

“It was kind of a rough season, but definitely outdoor. Big 12 was the highlight to be able to win that, but to be able to come back and vault with my friends at the street vault, this you know, will be one of the best memories I will have all year,â€Â

Aksarben Vaulter
PV Beginner

Nebraska Street Vault Results

Unread postby Aksarben Vaulter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:22 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry I've been such a slacker about posting these, but my day job has been keeping me hopping!

Gable Baldwin (Grand Island, NE, former UNL vaulter) has been on a tear jumping 17'-5 on June 16th and following that up with an 18'-0 jump on June 23rd.
[code]
Grand Island Ethnic Festival 1st annual Street Vault Exhibition

Mixed Pole Vault – “Aâ€Â

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 pm

http://www.auroranewsregister.com/627Sports1.html

Baldwin ties record at 18 feet

Kurt Johnson
Husker pole vault standout Gabe Baldwin took the A'ROR'N Days crowd to new heights Saturday clearing a season-best 18 feet and barely nudging the bar off on what would have been his highest jump ever.
Competing in a field of 45 vaulters, Baldwin was clearly the star of the show, jumping in a courthouse parking lot venue he described as a perfect setting for pole vaulting.
"This is the most people I've ever jumped in front of in a street setting," said the former Grand Island Central Catholic athlete. "Last week I jumped a season PR (personal record) 17-6 at Grand Island and I think I could have gone higher but we ran out of standards. I think I can go pretty high today if we get everything right."
He did get "everything right," clearing 18 feet even on his final attempt. The bar was raised to 18-4, which would have topped his all-time best 18-2 mark set his sophomore season at UNL, but he nicked the bar, which bounced and held momentarily then fell to the ground.
"The crowd just went nuts went he cleared 18 foot and then he was over it at 18-4," said Ray Simmons, one of the event coordinators. "That was really something special to see."
A senior at UNL, Baldwin finished his final season of eligibility this spring in impressive fashion. He placed third at the Big 12 meet, then qualified for nationals where he made the finals and came in 9th with a vault of 17-3.
"I'm just out here to have fun and hang out with a bunch of friends I haven't seen for a while," he said. "Pole vaulting is a lot of fun and people enjoy watching it. Days like today are good for the sport."
TJ Pierce, director of track and field operations at the University of Nebraska wasn't surprised with the heights being cleared on Saturday. With a slightly downhill incline on a specially built raised runway, the vaulters had a fast track for the second annual A'ROR'N Days competition.
"This is a very, very fast track so that really helps the vaulters because they can run faster and get on bigger poles," he said. "This is easily the best place we vault in our whole summer series."
Pierce constructed the raised runway himself and purchased a landing pit and standards built to collegiate specifications. He has scheduled four street competitions this summer in what he said is becoming a popular fan event.
"Pole vaulters love to vault," he said. "It doesn't matter where it's at or who it's against. This is really a nice place to be because you have a beautiful town square, there is shade in the trees and you don't have to shut down a whole city block to make it happen."
Former Husker pole vaulter Chad Carlson of Aurora helped plan Saturday's event and also put on his cleats, nine years after clearing the bar at 16-10 himself.
"Jumping in front of the hometown crowd is awesome," Carlson said, disappointed that he was unable to clear opening height. "This is about competing against each other, but it's all for fun, too, so to get this type of fan base is just incredible."
The field included about one-third high school competitors, one-third collegiate jumpers and one-third "old timers," including Aurora's own Dr. Mike Sullivan, who at age 50 was the oldest competitor in the field. AJ Farrand, an eighth grader, the youngest competitor, cleared the bar at 8 feet.
Saturday's format featured the elite men and women jumpers in the first division, followed by a second division.
"We had 10 more jumpers than last year and the event did run a little long," Simmons noted. "Next year we'll probably reduce the number of mulligans and start with just five or six elite jumpers so everybody will get to see the Gabe Baldwin's jump."
Husky pole vault coach Rod Ruybalid served as announcer for the competition.

POLE VAULT RESULTS
Gabe Baldwin, unattached, 18-0
Jackie Rodgers, BSTC, 13-0
Zac Holoch, unattached, 16-0
Nic Petersen, unattached, 16-0
Kami Wettlaufer, unattached, 11-6
Audra Leichleiter, unattached, 11-6
Nate Polacek, Kearney, 15-6
Megan Pattison, unattached, 11-0
Marli Peters, Henderson, 10-6
Chris Richardson, unattached, 14-6
Corbin Tessman, Henderson, 14-6
Christi Anderson, Grand Island Northwest, 10-0
Keri Volnek, unattached, 10-0
Jesse Saner, unattached, 14-0
Jay Howland, Aurora alumni, 14-0
Adam Teniente, unattached, 14-0
Geoff Cyboron, Aurora alumni, 14-0
Clint Simmons, Aurora alumni, 14-0
Cody Frederickson, Grand Island, 12-6
Austin Pomajzl, GINW, 12-6
Chad Carlson, Aurora alumni, no height
Dakota Cochrane, unattached, no height
TJ Pierce, unattached, no height

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Video from the Grand Island meet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcrG77xA37Y

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:41 am

Aww the old results got all messed up with the server change :(

Anyone know if these meets are happening this year?

Aksarben Vaulter
PV Beginner

Kind of . . .

Unread postby Aksarben Vaulter » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:30 am

Becca - geez! What's up with your server!?! I spent SECONDS printing those results out from Hy-Tek! lol

Nebraska Street Vaults are a go again this year, albeit on a slightly smaller, limited scale due to the Olympic Year.

As of now, plan is:

June 28th - 2nd annual Grand Island Ethnic Festival
Grand Island, NE

July 26th - 1st annual Burwell Rodeo Street Vault
Burwell, NE
- This one I'm particularly stoked about, and have wanted to do for years, as it marries my love of rodeo and pole vaulting. Spent many years watching my brother all-around and then team rope. In fact, would have taken it up myself, but Little League baseball ruined that dream! lol Rodeo-ers and vaulters are cut from the same block of granite, so I think this will be a good one!

Possibly . . . .

July 12th - 3rd annual John C Fremont Days Street Vault
Fremont, NE
- Pretty questionable as of now, due to serving as an usher in a wedding the night before and problems with time & venue scheduling. Will let all on PVP know if we give it a green light!

Cheers, everyone!

T. J.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Nebraska Street Vault Series

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Hmm sorry some of the old results posts have been lost due to the server changes. Are there any street vaults in Nebraska happening this year?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:30 am

Grand Island Ethnic Festival Street Vault June 27th 2009
Grand Island Nebraska
Starting time 10:00 am
Cost $15.00

Geoff Cyboron
Art Education Barr/Westridge
gcyboron@gips.org

PVdancer
PV Newbie

Unread postby PVdancer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:42 am

I was told that there's a street vault in Lincoln on Friday, July 17. I'll be there---I just don't know where or what time! Anyone got the details? Thanks! Kay

Return to “North and Central Regions”