Brandon Childs soaring among the elite (NE)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Brandon Childs soaring among the elite (NE)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:13 am

http://www.starherald.com/site/news.cfm ... 3363&rfi=6

Torrington's Childs soaring among the elite
By: Jeff Fielder, Sports Editor
04/19/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
ALLIANCE - A big smile flashed across Brandon Childs' face immediately following Saturday's pole vault competition in the Alliance Invite.
He cleared 14 feet, 6 inches to set a Torrington High School record, but that wasn't the only reason he was elated. He just missed going over the bar on his second attempt at 15 feet.
"I really thought I was going to make it over 15," said Childs, a junior. "I was over it, but then I hit it with my arm as I was coming down. I wish I would have done a little better, but it still feels pretty good. It boosted my confidence."
Even before Saturday's event, Childs had already proven himself as one of the top vaulters in Wyoming. He placed second at the Wyoming state meet both his freshman and sophomore years.
But after improving his personal-best in the pole vault by 6 inches Saturday, he's certain to attract even more attention now. He definitely had the crowd's attention in Alliance, as the crowd's reaction from his last few attempts echoed throughout the stadium.
"Usually, I'm pretty relaxed," he said. "But [Saturday] I was a little nervous toward the end because I'm not used to competing in front of that many people. But I was able to stay focused. And there was some good competition here, so that helped push me, too."
Childs said switching to a bigger pole helped him soar higher.
"I got on a new pole, and it just worked," he said. "It was stiffer, so when I was at the top it threw me more."
Competing in nearly ideal track and field weather conditions also helped Childs.
"Up until today, the weather hasn't been very good, so that makes it tougher to compete," he said. "It's harder to vault when it's cold. But the weather today was great."
One of Childs' goals this season was to break the school pole vault record of 14-5 set in 1988. But now that he's accomplished that feat, don't expect him to be complacent.
"I want to go at least 15-6 this year, if not higher," he said.
Childs also wants to win a state championship, especially since he's come close to doing that the last two years. He thought he had a good chance to finish on top last year, but he said competing at the state meet with a broken foot - he "crushed" his heel during a pole vault attempt - kept him from reaching his full potential.
"Last year really motivated me for this season," he said. "I really want to win it this year."

Return to “North and Central Regions”