Flucke hopes to add to Jaguars' vaulting tradition (WI)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Flucke hopes to add to Jaguars' vaulting tradition (WI)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:23 pm

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/app ... /GPGsports

Track and field: Flucke hopes to add to Jaguars' vaulting tradition
By Weston Hodkiewicz
whodkiew@greenbay.gannett.com

While some athletes choose to step out of the shadows cast over them by their predecessors, Melissa Flucke prefers to leap out of them.

Coming into the 2007 track and field season, the Ashwaubenon sophomore had not only the success of graduated pole vaulter Erin Havener in front of her, but also the Jaguars' pole-vaulting lineage.

Beginning with three-time WIAA state champion Liza Lewis' first title in 2001, the Jaguars have been front-runners for the crown.

Lewis owns the Division 1 state record with a vault of 12 feet, 6 inches in her senior season, 2003.

Following Havener's championship vault of 12 feet last year, Flucke has big shoes to fill.

But she doesn't mind.

"I think it helps," Flucke said. "I see how well (Erin) did, and see how much fun she had with it."

Flucke was the only freshman to qualify for Division 1 state in the pole vault last year, but she was unable to hit the 9-6 beginning mark at the meet.

After showing her potential last year, Flucke has been on a roll as a sophomore.

Two weeks ago, Flucke won the state indoor pole-vaulting title in Whitewater with a career-best vault of 11-4 â€â€

Return to “North and Central Regions”