Article on Girls Vaulting in Indiana

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Article on Girls Vaulting in Indiana

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:47 pm

Female pole vaulters are hard to come by
HS TRACK
By TIM CREASON
Tribune Correspondent

It's official. The Indiana High School Athletic Association has added girls pole vault to its list of official track events.

Now, if only there were some girls to pole vault.

An unofficial survey of Tribune-area track teams reveals that few, if any, local girls will be soaring aloft on a fiberglass pole this spring, even though the IHSAA says it is OK for them to do so.

"I suppose that if we have somebody who wants to do it, we'll coach her, but I don't know that we'll have anyone who is interested," says Elkhart Memorial coach Darlene Owings. "And to tell the truth, I don't plan to go looking for one (a vaulter)."

At its Executive Committee meeting on Feb. 21, the IHSAA voted to add girls pole vault as an official -- but non-scoring -- event for the 2003 track season.

Girls will follow the same rules as boys, and at the end of the season, a state champion will be crowned.

As a matter of record, the IHSAA's decision brings Indiana up to speed with the rest of the country. Many other states, including Michigan, have offered girls pole vault for years.

The problem is that -- in making it a non-scoring event -- the IHSAA removed any incentive for coaches to add a girl pole vaulter to their varsity lineup.

Also, even though the event is non-scored, the IHSAA ruled that the pole vault counts against a girl's participation limit.

A track athlete can participate in no more than four events during a meet. Thus, coaches are reluctant to "use up" an event if they have a good athlete who could score points somewhere else.

"Just to experiment? No, we're not going to do it," says Michigan City coach Tim Bumber. "Track coaches tend to be spread way too thin as it is. We're not going to devote a coach's time to teaching a girl to pole vault when it is irrelevant to us. There's nothing to gain.

"In another year, when the event is scored, then we'll do it."

Ironically, the IHSAA is adding girls pole vault in the same year that many schools are struggling to meet a National Federation mandate for bigger and safer landing pits.

The National Federation of High School Athletic Associations has ruled schools must obtain bigger pits and expand their landing areas, starting this season. The changes are expensive, costing some teams as much as $10,000, depending on what upgrades are needed.

Some Indiana schools are reported to be dropping boys pole vault, rather than pay for new pits. And at the same moment, girls pole vault is coming on as an event.

The timing of the event's addition -- which came after many girls teams had already started official practice -- hasn't gone over well with some coaches, either.

"The thing is, nobody was asking for this," said Owings. "There was an issue with a few people down south, and all of a sudden, we've got girls pole vault."

BSU_Vault
PV Newbie

Coaches should introduce this event......this year

Unread postby BSU_Vault » Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:07 pm

As a women's collegiate pole vault coach at a college in the state of Indiana, I am very glad to see that my state has finally caught up with the rest of the United States and added girls vault. I am concerned when I see comments made such as Coach Bumber's in the above article about not using a girl in that event because it is not scored and because it takes away from other events they could be doing that do score. You are indeed taking away an opportunity for a girl to learn an event that she may be better at and may have a better shot at being recruited by college coaches. If the girl is a decent sprinter and has any gymnastics ability, she can pick up the event rather quickly with proper coaching. Don't wait until next year when it is being scored. Start this year so that she will have a year under her belt before the scoring takes place. For example, when women's vault was about to be added to collegiate meets, Purdue University went out and recruited vaulters and loaded up on that event. Consequently, I believe they swept (1-3) that event the first year and have done very well ever since. The point is, they did not wait until the year it was added, they jumped the gun. Coaches, take the time to learn the event yourselves and take the time to introduce the event to some girls. If you have no clue, buy a book or call another coach. I would be happy to discuss training with anyone. There are also many quality pole vault sites on the internet from which to learn. Just ask around.

mikes1487
PV Newbie

Any information about witch schools dropped the vault?

Unread postby mikes1487 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:46 pm

Ya, I am about to move to indiana and i would like to know witch high school dropped the vault? because i wont go to a school that does not offer the vault. and we are (my family) looking for a city to live in around Indianapolis. we where thinking about somthing like Noblesville, Westfield, or maybe New Palestine. thanks for the help!

-mike

BSU_Vault
PV Newbie

choose

Unread postby BSU_Vault » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:08 pm

Mike,
I have not heard of any schools around the Indy area dropping boys pole vault and I really can't recommend a program around there that has strong pole vaulting or coaching. Lawrence North High School has a very, very good boys track team right now and Lawrence Central High School has Tim Richey, though I am not sure whether he works with the boys or just the girls. Tim has coached Tori Allen, a 15 year old soph., to nearly 12'. He also coached Indiana's state recored holder in the boys pole vault 2 years ago at a different high school. Tim is a member of this message board as well so you might contact him or perhaps he will read this and contact you. Good luck in your search.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:59 pm

Mike,
I know Noblesville has a decent vault program, we jumped at a meet with them 2-3 weeks ago. Carmel, Lawerence Central and Lawrence North would be some other good vault schools near Indy.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

good indiana schools

Unread postby wayupthere » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:57 pm

well i think that the school with the best tradition of vaulters i fort wayne northrop. over the years they have had a lot of good vaulters. tradition prolly started back in 1976 when brian kimball went 16-1 for the state record. Went on to become an IU vaulter with my dad. Also Gary Hunter who was state champion a few years before kimball is even still vaulting now at 49 with bob crites, also a former iu vaulter.
hmmmm

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Re: choose

Unread postby wayupthere » Sun May 04, 2003 11:25 pm

BSU_Vault wrote:Mike,
I have not heard of any schools around the Indy area dropping boys pole vault and I really can't recommend a program around there that has strong pole vaulting or coaching. Lawrence North High School has a very, very good boys track team right now and Lawrence Central High School has Tim Richey, though I am not sure whether he works with the boys or just the girls. Tim has coached Tori Allen, a 15 year old soph., to nearly 12'. He also coached Indiana's state recored holder in the boys pole vault 2 years ago at a different high school. Tim is a member of this message board as well so you might contact him or perhaps he will read this and contact you. Good luck in your search.

Tori Allen is actually a 14 yr old freshmen!!
hmmmm

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: choose

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 04, 2003 11:27 pm

wayupthere wrote:Tori Allen is actually a 14 yr old freshmen!!

I hear she is a stud rock climber! This guy in my class is really into climbing. He asked me if I had heard of her, and was blown away when I said yes. Apparently she is just an awesome athlete!

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Sun May 04, 2003 11:35 pm

I know Tori. she climbs 5.13 thats better than most adult males she just went to a huge bouldering competition in AZ and probably got 2nd climbing against girls 10 years older than her. but I havent asked how she did so im not sure she might have won this year. And she has vaulted 12 in practice. I just asked her and she said she didnt go to the PBC this year. she was sick.

kayakers
PV Newbie

14 year old, soph

Unread postby kayakers » Tue May 06, 2003 11:14 am

Tori is 14, but a sophmore.
She is x games speed climbing champion this past year.
She is Jr. Olympic record holder 13-14 year old with Jenny Green, though Tori holds the age group record for usatf at 10'7.75
Current pr 11'10"

Come and jump with us. Girls only camp. June 14 Indianapolis

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Re: 14 year old, soph

Unread postby wayupthere » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:12 pm

kayakers wrote:Tori is 14, but a sophmore.
She is x games speed climbing champion this past year.
She is Jr. Olympic record holder 13-14 year old with Jenny Green, though Tori holds the age group record for usatf at 10'7.75
Current pr 11'10"

Come and jump with us. Girls only camp. June 14 Indianapolis

yes my mistake she is a soph. thanks 2 her we have girls PV here in Indiana. We have a girl on our track team (soph) here at BL North that went 10'6(seeded 2nd at state behind Tori) and its only her first year! And my teammate Joe Bronnenberg went 15'6 at regionals(Seeded for a 2nd place tie at state) His 15'6 vault he had nice clearence on it too Im waitin for him 2 jump out of his a** on friday. Good luck everyone from Indiana
hmmmm

zack

Unread postby zack » Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:32 pm

Hmm what does jumping out your a** look like?
Sorry I couldn't resist. :)

Return to “Heartland Region”