Margo Tucker setting the bar high (IN)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Margo Tucker setting the bar high (IN)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:11 pm

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... SPORTS0210

Setting the bar high
Bears sophomore Margo Tucker has eye on state title, is mentor for male vaulter
By Paul Shepherd / Star correspondent
Posted: April 3, 2008

Margo Tucker was in fifth grade when Tori Allen made history.
Allen, a 2005 Lawrence Central graduate, was an elite pole-vaulter who won the boys Marion County championship in 2002 as a freshman. Allen, a female, competed in the boys competition because pole vaulting was not offered in girls track.

That changed when Allen sued the Indiana High School Athletic Association in 2003 for violating the 1972 Title IX Act that ensured equality in men's and women's athletics. Ultimately, the event was added to girls track, and Allen was its first state champion in 2003.
"She paved the way for me," said Tucker, who began vaulting in eighth grade and placed third in the state last year as a freshman behind a pair of seniors.
Perhaps a sign that the event has come full circle at Lawrence Central is that, despite the school's strong tradition of producing top male vaulters, Tucker was the school's top vaulter last year, boys or girls.
Tucker became a mentor of sorts last year for then-sophomore Zack Saunders, who was in his first year competing in the event.
"Last year, I was a very inconsistent jumper; I didn't know whether I'd land on the mat or back on the runway," Saunders said with a laugh. "It was kind of scary at times. Having Margo as a teammate was a big help. Watching her jump, I picked things up from her. The first time I jumped 12 feet to pass her up was a huge deal for me. About three-quarters of the year, she was jumping higher than me every single meet."
Both vaulters have high expectations this year. Tucker is aiming to become the fourth girl to win a pole vaulting state title in Indiana and the second from her school. Saunders also has high hopes after finishing just one spot short of qualifying for the regional last year, placing fifth in the sectional.
Saunders already has surpassed last year's personal best of 13-0 with a 14-0 vault this year. His goal is to clear 15-6. Tucker hopes to vault somewhere between 12-6 and 15-0. She cleared 12-0 at the state meet.
"Both are quite studious of the event," said Tim Richey, who came to Lawrence Central as its vault coach in 2002 after coaching White River Valley's Matt Campbell to three state championships from 1999 to 2001.
"Both are really good natural athletes to begin with, which obviously helps when you're trying to do the most athletic event in track and field."
Saunders plays football. Tucker is a member of the school's volleyball team.
"I read an article about pole vaulting that said you shouldn't have an athlete that's extremely good at one sport, but an athlete pretty good at a lot of different sports," Tucker said. "I'm kind of like that. I'm dedicated. I pick up on things easily. I'm kind of a good athlete, but to be really good at pole vaulting you need a good coach, too. I'm a pretty good athlete who found a great coach."
Saunders said it takes a sound mental approach to be a successful pole-vaulter.
"If you're not confident, then you go up there soft, and you can't have that," Saunders said. "Bad stuff happens."
Saunders credits Tucker with helping him learn the finer points of the event last year and is eager to see what both can do this season.
"I feel a lot more comfortable," Saunders said. "I know I'm going to land in the pit now."

Return to “Heartland Region”