Amanda Barlage looks for elusive state title (OH)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Amanda Barlage looks for elusive state title (OH)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:33 am

http://dailyadvocate.com/main.asp?Secti ... M=83590.37

V-Tiger senior looks for elusive state title

By Dean Eversole
Sports Correspondent

VERSAILLES - It seems kind of funny now that just a few years ago Versailles' Amanda Barlage was clearing 10' in the pole vault and finishing seventh at state.

Now as a senior, she is sailing over the 12' barrier, seemingly on her way to a fourth straight appearance in Columbus.

The senior vaulter set a new D-III OHSAA record recently when she cleared 12'3" at the Ken Beard Invitational in West Milton, breaking the state record set last season by Columbus Grove's Jennifer Oard. Despite the impressive feat, it still falls short of Barlage's personal goal.

"The goal I set at the beginning of the season was 12' 6", but I would really like to hit 12' 9" at some point, so I can qualify for the junior nationals," noted Barlage when asked about her goals.

Nothing Barlage does should come as a surprise.

As a youth she spent 10 years in gymnastics, and then as a freshman started doing something she hasn't stopped doing since; win.

"When I was a freshman, pole vaulting (for girls) was just started and they (the Versailles coaching staff) had a chinup contest for those that wanted to do it (pole vault). I had been a gymnast for 10 years and I won," said Barlage.

And with that, a very successful career was launched.

As a freshman, she finished seventh in the state and has just been going up and up ever since. She won the district and regional titles her sophomore and junior seasons and even though she cleared the winning height at state, because of attempts (more attempts to clear the height), settled for the runnerup title both years.

Now in her final season, Barlage is looking to be the anchor of a very talented, but young, Versailles squad.

"She is a leader of this team," commented Versailles first-year head coach Mike Goubeaux. "She sets the example of what it takes to be good at something, and what needs to be done to reach the level she is at. She trains at her house, year in and year out, in the offseason and this is the type of dedication that is required to be a champion," said Goubeaux.

This attitude has been instilled in Barlage by her family and the support they provide her. Combined with a new training regimen this winter, a regimen that involved swimming on the first-year Versailles high school team, Barlage has earned the label as the state's best.

"My family has gotten me where I am at. I can't think of a single family member that didn't help get me here. This year, I was on the swim team and didn't do much indoor track, but the swimming really helped me with endurance this season."

Barlage's ability to catapult herself 12 feet in the air and then free fall to a mat below has not only earned respect from her coach, but a scholarship to Indiana State University.

"When you look at the height of where she jumps and realize you have to jump over it with a pole going upside down, it is something as a coach I have never tried and don't want to. Amanda is a very brave young lady and she has a bright future," said Goubeaux.

Her path after high school was an easy decision, according to Barlage.

"I went for a visit (to ISU) and it was a really nice college, and I was really attracted to their awesome track program, with their great coaches. When they offered me, I couldn't turn it down."

Track is an unpredictable sport, but there is little debate that Barlage is the choice of most track observers to capture that elusive D-III state title this time around.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Return to “Heartland Region”